Vitamin D deficiency may cause infertilityFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, Feb 3 (IANS) Austrian scientists have found vitamin D’s deficiency, long held as a risk factor for diseases like diabetes, may cause infertility among men and women.
This deficiency has also been a risk factor for diseases like osteoporosis, or the thinning of bone tissue and loss of bone density over time.
After analysing numerous studies, the Austrian physicians Barbara Obermayer-Pietsch and Elisabeth Lerchbaum found that vitamin D level was associated with the production of male hormones. More specifically, there was a link between vitamin D and the increase in testosterone levels, subsequently the semen quality, Xinhua reported.
The finding has been published in the European Journal of Endocrinology’s latest issue.
According to Obermayer-Pietsch, as vitamin D plays an important role in hormone production also in women, low levels of vitamin D often lead to too much testosterone, which therefore could increase the risk of infertility among women.
The scientists will continue to conduct further scientific studies to find out new therapeutic approaches, including the reproduction of vitamin D.
- Osteoporosis, the next big health worry for India (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 20, 2011
- Heart, bone damage from low vitamin D levels amplified by estrogen shortage - Nov 16, 2009
- Anxiety can weaken bones - Apr 15, 2011
- For better sex drive, enjoy sunshine - Feb 08, 2012
- Oral steroids bring on vitamin D deficiency - Sep 30, 2011
- Testosterone might not be the fountainhead of youth - Oct 23, 2011
- Low testosterone raises risk of diabetes - May 04, 2012
- Vitamin D deficiency widespread across India - Dec 14, 2010
- 'Osteoporosis strikes young due to sedentary lifestyle' (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2010
- Keep tab on osteoporosis pain-reliever: Experts (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2011
- Vitamin D deficiency associated with lung transplant rejection - Oct 19, 2010
- Treating Vit D deficiency could ease depression - Jun 27, 2012
- Kids with celiac disease should go for vitamins to stave off bone disease: Study - Jul 23, 2010
- Every third Pakistani woman has osteoporosis - Nov 15, 2010
- Vitamin D deficiency leads to obesity, stunts growth - Mar 08, 2010
Tags: bone density, bone tissue, elisabeth, european journal of endocrinology, hormone production, infertility, journal of endocrinology, male hormones, men and women, obermayer, osteoporosis, pietsch, risk factor, semen quality, testosterone, testosterone levels, therapeutic approaches, vienna, vitamin d deficiency, xinhua