Virus at Fat Duck RestaurantMarch 22nd, 2009 - 3:06 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
On Friday, a celebrity chef named Heston Blumenthal said a virus may have caused an outbreak of illness among diners at his Fat Duck Restaurant.
The Michelin-starred eatery was closed for more than two weeks after scores of diners reported bouts of diarrhea and vomiting and the restaurant opened last week after the inspection.
Britain’s Health Protection Agency says it is still conducting tests to determine the cause of the outbreak.
Blumenthal told Australia’s Hospitality magazine that three staff and five customers had tested positive for norovirus, an easily transmitted bug known as ‘winter vomiting’ disease. He said food poisoning had been ruled out.
The 42-year-old chef is known for elaborate culinary concoctions such as snail porridge and bacon-and-egg ice cream.
- Heston Blumenthal Serves Worm Pizza To Kids In Hospital - Feb 08, 2011
- British queen to feast on offal - Jun 17, 2010
- Destination India could be next for Michelin guides (Eating Out With IANS) - Dec 12, 2010
- Award-winning chef to serve the Queen brain and testicles - Jun 18, 2010
- Dine on Nobel 2010 spread for Rs.8,000 - Oct 16, 2011
- World's first "gastronomic university" to open in Spain - Jan 18, 2010
- Abbey Clancy wears engagement ring on date with Peter Crouch - Aug 28, 2010
- Basmati rice aroma to waft through global dishes - Nov 23, 2011
- Indian platter goes casual; eateries reap bounty - Oct 23, 2011
- Infectious virus hits New Zealand - May 11, 2011
- Jimmy John's sprouts linked to salmonella outbreak - Dec 20, 2010
- 'Modernist Cuisine' - the world's heaviest recipe book? - Mar 14, 2011
- El Bulli, The World's Best Restaurant - Apr 21, 2009
- Michelin chef's Spanish delights with local Indian produce (Eating Out With IANS) - Dec 06, 2011
- Phydough Initiates A 'Food Truck' For Dogs - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: australia, bacon and egg, bouts, celebrity chef, culinary concoctions, diarrhea and vomiting, diners, five customers, food poisoning, health protection agency, heston blumenthal, hospitality, michelin, outbreak, porridge, snail, virus