Viral illness kills 17, affects 35,000 in ChinaJuly 15th, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 15 (IANS) A hand, foot and mouth disease has killed 17 people and affected nearly 35,000 in China’s Hunan province this June as high temperatures helped it to spread, the local authorities said Sunday.
This disease is a viral illness that usually affects infants and children younger than five years of age, China Daily reported Sunday.
According to the Hunan provincial health department, a total of 34,768 cases were reported this June while 17 people died of the disease.
The disease incidence rate in June was much higher than that of last June, which has much to do with the high temperatures this summer, said Liu Fuqiang, an official with the provincial Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The provincial CDC has urged parents and kindergarten teachers to send children to hospital as soon as they show symptoms, such as mouth sores, skin rashes or fever, Liu said.
The department had warned of high prevalence of the disease and other infectious diseases such as Dengue fever and malaria during the summer, Xinhua reported.
A total of 19 children were killed by the disease in April in Hunan province, said the health department.
- 11,000 hit by hand-foot-mouth disease in China - Mar 31, 2012
- Dengue fever grips Pakistani province - Sep 04, 2011
- Weather can help predict dengue fever outbreaks - Oct 27, 2009
- Lahore dengue toll rises to 127 - Oct 02, 2011
- Dengue arrives in Delhi, before season - Jul 04, 2010
- Pakistan wants dengue drug from India - Oct 28, 2011
- Lahore dengue toll reaches 110 - Oct 01, 2011
- 29 new dengue cases in Delhi, total 6,035 - Nov 18, 2010
- GM rice tested on Chinese schoolchildren? - Sep 12, 2012
- Viral fever hits Kerala's Alappuzha - May 01, 2011
- New virus targets children - Aug 26, 2012
- Now Karachi frets over dengue outbreak - Aug 22, 2011
- Dengue toll reaches 29 in Pakistan's Punjab province - Sep 16, 2011
- Insect bites kill 13 in China (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Death toll from tick bites in China rises to 18 - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: china beijing, china daily, disease control and prevention, disease incidence, foot and mouth, foot and mouth disease, hand foot and mouth, hand foot and mouth disease, high temperatures, hunan province, incidence rate, infectious diseases, kindergarten teachers, local authorities, mouth sores, provincial centre, provincial health, skin rashes, viral illness, xinhua