Vacuuming and mopping can help you burn 50,000 calories a yearNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:32 am ICT by admin
Researchers discovered that a year of cleaning our homes is equivalent to more than 22 miles of walk a year.
They also found that keeping the house tidy annually burns the same number of calories found in 603 glasses of wine, 192 bars of chocolate, 369 cans of fizzy drink, 146 cheeseburgers or 394 packs of crisps.
The study, which polled 3,000 Britons, found that housework gives us more of a workout than spending an hour a week at the gym.
Roughly two-thirds of those polled said that they cleaned more carefully to try to get some exercise, while 94 per cent said they worked up a sweat while doing the chores and half could feel their muscles burning afterwards.
The study also revealed that 44 per cent danced while cleaning to lighten the boredom.
“To prevent weight gain, most adults need to expend around 400 calories per day in physical activity, which is equivalent to around two hours of dusting and cleaning or 82 minutes of vacuuming and mopping,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr Gary O’Donovan, a lecturer in sport and exercise medicine at the University of Exeter, as saying.
The survey placed vacuuming as the most popular chore, with 35 per cent indicating a preference for it, followed by doing the laundry and washing-up.
“Any household activity is an exercise and that is good for you. So do your housework as often as you can, but make it fun by putting on your favourite music and go for it!” former morning TV fitness guru Derrick Evans, said. (ANI)
- Cut your flab 'while at office, outside and even when asleep' - Apr 24, 2011
- 70 pc of Brit women like doing housework - Nov 13, 2010
- 82pc of Brit women still do housework despite fight for equality - Oct 13, 2010
- Every Chinese takeaway is equal to a glass of lard - Aug 06, 2010
- Most British women like doing housework - Nov 14, 2010
- For couples, 'perfect moment' of the day will be at 8:44pm - May 03, 2010
- 'New Man' theory is a lie as women still do lion's share of chores - Aug 29, 2010
- Household chores can send BP soaring! - Jan 14, 2011
- Older vacuum cleaners pollute indoor air - Jan 05, 2012
- 3 out of 4 women don't like to purchase 'dry clean only' clothing - Jan 16, 2011
- Working Aussie women refusing to share workload at home - Apr 17, 2011
- Women ignore men's household work - Mar 12, 2010
- Britons spend 53 hours a year whining! - Nov 22, 2010
- Exercise Has Minor Effect On Weight Loss, Claim New Studies - Sep 21, 2010
- 59pct men 'go deaf' when asked to do chores - Jul 20, 2009
Tags: 192, adults need, boredom, calories burned, calories per day, cheeseburgers, derrick evans, dr gary, exercise medicine, favourite music, fitness guru, fizzy drink, giant philips, household activity, household chores, housework, mail, mopping, morning tv, university of exeter