‘Vaccine shots to infants in Madhya Pradesh were poisonous’March 16th, 2010 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Bhopal, March 15 (IANS) The anti-measles vaccine that killed four babies in Madhya Pradesh’s Damoh district last week turned a killer because it was used over three hours after being mixed, a health official said Monday.
The samples of the vaccines were sealed and sent to New Delhi for examination and the vaccination programme was suspended.
While the report from New Delhi was yet to come in, health department director A.N. Mittal, who visited Damoh, said: “The vaccine shots given to the children had turned poisonous because they were administered over three hours after its powder was mixed with the solvent”.
Four babies died and 16 were taken ill Saturday after they were administered anti-measles shots at a government health centre in Damoh district. Nurse Durga Tiwari was arrested on charges of negligence and district vaccination officer Anupam Kulshreshta and LHV vaccination centre’s S. Nayak were suspended.
The victims were identified as Arti Thakur, Gaurav Vishvakarma, Roshni Gond and Arman Vishwakarma.
While the post-mortem examination reports of the infants revealed that they died of toxic shock syndrome, a rare and unforeseen snag following measles vaccination, the parents of the victims said the babies started frothing at the mouth and nose, turned blue and died within 12 hours of being given the vaccine. In all, 20 infants were administered the vaccine.
- 4 Madhya Pradesh babies die after measles vaccine (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- 4 Madhya Pradesh infants die after measles vaccination (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Three infants die after vaccination - Mar 14, 2010
- Child dies after vaccination, doctors face action - Jul 22, 2011
- Baby dies after DPT vaccine shot in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 30, 2010
- Medical team from Delhi to probe vaccine deaths - Mar 18, 2011
- Jharkhand to launch anti-measles campaign - Nov 10, 2011
- Suspected botched vaccination claims four infants in Assam - Oct 22, 2008
- Two suspended after measles epidemic in Maharashtra village - Aug 23, 2010
- New measles vaccine that can be inhaled shows promise - Feb 02, 2011
- 19 infants die in two Bengal hospitals - Feb 03, 2012
- Malnutrition harming Madhya Pradesh kids: Unicef - Sep 06, 2011
- Vaccination deaths: Cause still untraced - Aug 25, 2010
- 100 crib deaths in Bengal since Jan 1 (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- 4 Gujarat children die after being given measles drops - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,