Uttarakhand drive to check sex-determination testsJuly 9th, 2012 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
Dehradun, July 9 (IANS) To curb rampant sex-determination tests and prevent a fall in the gender ratio, the Uttarakhand government Monday directed district magistrates to ensure regular inspection of 522 private and 79 government-run ultra sound centres.
The government also told the officials to position in all ultra sound machines ‘active trackers’ that would send SMS alert messages to district magistrates and chief medical officers in case sex-determination tests were conducted.
Chief Secretary Alok Kumar Jain said that district magistrates would be responsible to check sex-determination.
He said as per the 2011 census, the sex ratio of children aged less than six years was 1,000 boys to 886 girls as against 1,000 to 967 in 2001.
Jain also directed officers to initiate an abortion audit system like the maternal death audit system.
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- Even rich, educated abort second girl child, shows study - May 23, 2011
- Rajasthan jolted into action on skewed child sex ratio - Apr 11, 2011
- Himachal to punish internet purchase of sex test kit - Jun 18, 2011
- Sex detection rampant in Delhi: NGO - Jun 23, 2011
- Gehlot promises Aamir war on foeticide (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Blot on humanity, says twitterati on baby Afreen's death - Apr 11, 2012
- Haryana records marginal rise in child sex ratio - Apr 05, 2011
- Haryana doctor held for sex determination test - Apr 20, 2011
- Declining sex ratio attributed to misuse of medical technology - Dec 18, 2011
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- 'Sex selection now spreads to Hayana's rural poor too' - Sep 02, 2011
- Rajasthan deploys spies to curb sex determination tests - Jan 03, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
Tags: abortion, alert messages, audit system, census, chief secretary, district magistrates, gender ratio, girls, jain, maternal death, medical officers, rampant sex, sex determination, sex ratio, six years, trackers