Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal to get AIIMS-like institutes: AzadJuly 10th, 2009 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) Two more premier medical institutes on the lines of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences will be set up - in West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh - in addition to the six such institutes that are under construction, union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said Friday.
Informing the Rajya Sabha, the minister said the government has approved the proposal to set up the two new institutes under the second phase of the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
The estimated cost of each institute is Rs.823 crore, he said.
He said in March 2006 the government had approved the first phase of setting up AIIMS-like institutes under which six new ones were to be constructed.
The aim for setting up such medical facilities is to correct the regional imbalance in the availability of affordable and reliable healthcare services. The six institutes are coming up in Patna (Bihar), Raipur (Chhattisgarh), Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), Bhubaneswar (Orissa), Jodhpur (Rajasthan) and Rishikesh (Uttarakhand).
He said the institutes in West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh will have a 960-bedded hospital each as well as 40 specialty or super-specialty disciplines.
Keeping on the lines of the AIIMS set up, the eight new facilities will also have medical and nursing colleges.
“The medical colleges will have 100 postgraduate seats, besides facilities for imparting PG/doctoral courses in various disciplines, and also nursing colleges conforming to nursing council norms,” he added.
About the six institutes, Azad said construction of the housing complex for the medical staff has begun and would be completed in 2009-2010. “The hospitals and medical colleges are likely to get completed by the end of 2011,” he added.
- Separate societies for six AIIMS-like institutions to be set up under PMSSY - Aug 26, 2010
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - May 24, 2012
- Cabinet gives nod to set up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Aug 30, 2012
- AIIMS gets Rs.1,000 crore in budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Work on AIIMS-like institution to begin in Chhattisgarh - Nov 04, 2009
- Cabinet clears societies to run six AIIMS-like institutions - Aug 09, 2010
- Six AIIMS-like institutions to be registered as societies - Aug 09, 2010
- Cabinet approves setting up two AIIMS-like institutions - Feb 05, 2009
- Land identified for AIIMS-like institute in Sonia's constituency - May 08, 2012
- Super-speciality hospital to come up in Himachal - Nov 23, 2010
- Rs.93 bn more for setting up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- Punj Lloyd bags Rs.115 crore project for AIIMS-like hospital - Apr 30, 2010
- Government adopts multi-pronged approach to correct uneven progress in health indicators - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, bhubaneswar, construction union, doctoral courses, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, healthcare services, india institute, jodhpur, mantri, medical colleges, medical institutes, nursing colleges, nursing council, rajya sabha, regional imbalance, rishikesh, west bengal, yojana