Use medical research to treat patients: Health MinisterDecember 9th, 2010 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 9 (IANS) Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad Thursday urged Indian researchers not to treat medical research only as an academic exercise but use the findings in treating patients.
“There are a large number of active scientists working in different disciplines of biological sciences and producing good leads. Often we find that these are not translated into products or useable knowledge such as treatment methods,” Azad said at a meeting of the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR).
“I urge ICMR scientists to put special efforts on translational programmes as the country needs these technologies now and cannot wait indefinitely,” he said.
ICMR is working on at least 50 projects for developing treatment for diseases like chikengunea, tuberculosis, leprosy and cancer, secretary of department of health research V.M. Katoch said.
ICMR, the research wing of health ministry, entered its centenary year this November.
- Azad asks ICMR to speed up research in Malaria and Cancer - Dec 09, 2010
- Pushing for cheap diabetes diagnostic methods: Azad - Nov 15, 2010
- ICMR to develop affordable diabetes test strip: Azad - Nov 08, 2011
- Health Minister Azad inaugurates centenary celebrations of ICMR - Nov 15, 2010
- Shri Azad to inaugurate conference of Leprologist on Gandhi Jayanti - Oct 02, 2009
- Azad bats for therapeutic cloning - Sep 18, 2009
- 'Superbug scare meant to hit Indian medical tourism' - Dec 04, 2011
- Need research on diseases affecting South Asia: Azad - Feb 05, 2012
- South Asian nations to collaborate on health care - Feb 07, 2012
- GoM on Japanese encephalitis to meet soon: Azad - Nov 08, 2011
- Stem cell division to evaluate clinical trials - Apr 27, 2012
- India to screen entire population for cancer, heart ailment - Dec 13, 2011
- Azad to inaugurate conference of Leprologist on Gandhi Jayanti - Oct 02, 2009
- India to produce raw material for H1N1 drug - Sep 17, 2009
- Boost for research in mental health, neuro-sciences - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: academic exercise, biological sciences, cancer, department of health, disciplines, diseases, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, health ministry, health research, indian researchers, leprosy, medical research, New Delhi, scientists, secretary of department of health, tuberculosis, useable knowledge