USDA: Students to consume fruits and vegetables in schoolsMarch 28th, 2011 - 8:14 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington DC, Mar 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The US Department of Agriculture has announced their plans to ensure that American school children get fruits and vegetables to consume.
The announcement was made on Friday by the Agriculture Secretary, Tom Vilsack. Vilsack said that the move is part of the implementation of the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008. The USDA plans to achieve the objectives of the Act by providing assistance for some state agencies to implement the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program in the 2011/2012 academic year.
The Obama administration’s determination to ensure that healthy nutrition become part of the diet of school children in the United States led to the passage of the Act in 2008.
Some amounts will be given to territories like Puerto Rico which will get $922,269, Guam will be given $44,771 of the funding amount with the U.S. Virgin Islands getting $27,167 to implement the program.
In announcing the move, Vilsack said that, “Improving the health and nutrition of our kids is a national imperative and by providing schools with fresh fruits and vegetables that expand their healthy options, we are helping our kids to have a brighter, healthier future.”
- USDA Issues Mandate For Healthier School Lunches - Jan 14, 2011
- USDA Discloses New Rules That Will Govern Lunches In U.S. Schools In An Effort To Increase The Lunches' Nutritional Value - Jan 14, 2011
- Popeye cartoons, tasting parties boost vegetable intake in kids - Aug 07, 2010
- Whole Kids foundation to focus on childhood health - Jul 28, 2011
- Junk food: High Court seeks guidelines - Jan 11, 2012
- Michelle Obama to be a guest on Cartoon Network's Hall of Game Awards - Feb 15, 2011
- Eating whole grains may cut risk of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes - Oct 21, 2010
- Family dinners help kids stave off obesity - Apr 24, 2012
- New York City Mayor Bloomberg and TV personality Rachael Ray announce initiatives to promote healthy living - May 14, 2010
- Eggs are lower in cholesterol than previously believed - Feb 09, 2011
- Junk food ban plea: Food product makers move court (Lead) - Nov 02, 2011
- No market fee for fruits, vegetables produced in Haryana - Apr 20, 2011
- U.S. Department of Transportation awards $11.8 million in training grants - Mar 23, 2010
- Eggs shedding cholesterol: US study - Feb 09, 2011
- Talking about weight might give kids eating disorder - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,