US swine flu toll rises to nineMay 22nd, 2009 - 5:47 am ICT by IANS
New York, May 22 (DPA) The number of confirmed deaths from the A(H1N1) influenza virus in the US rose to nine after the death of a young man in Utah, the federal Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Thursday.
The CDC put the total number of confirmed infections with the new virus in the US at 5,764.
The Utah Health Department said in a statement Wednesday that “a Salt Lake County resident between the ages of 18 and 25″ had died of the disease. This was the first H1N1 flu death in the state.
Local radio station KSL reported online that the victim was a 21-year-old man who had respiratory problems prior to being infected with the virus.
The Arizona Health Department Wednesday confirmed the death of a 13-year-old boy and said in a statement that he died March 15 of “complications of the H1N1 virus”. This had not been included in the CDC’s tally by Thursday and would be the 10th US swine-flu death.
The boy had not travelled recently, Arizona health officials said. Several members of his family had also contracted the virus but recovered, with the exception of one sibling who remained hospitalised.
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- 58 Mexicans die of flu - Feb 06, 2012
- Five more swine flu cases in Lucknow - Aug 23, 2012
- Why H1N1 increased mortality in healthy kids? - Nov 07, 2011
- Man dies of bird flu in China - Jan 23, 2012
- Swine flu patients swell to 56 in Lucknow - Sep 03, 2012
- Bihar SOS to centre on tackling bird flu - Mar 09, 2012
- Cambodian PM contracts swine flu - Jun 30, 2010
- Crows are dying in Bihar from bird flu - Feb 18, 2012
- 41 infected with bird flu in Thailand - Jun 20, 2012
- H1N1 pediatric deaths quadruple in US under new method - Nov 13, 2009
- Fresh death of fowls, culling continues in Meghalaya - Jan 15, 2012
- 100 mn Chinese vaccinated for swine flu - May 14, 2010
- Swine flu hits 57 million Americans, kills 17,000 - Feb 13, 2010
Tags: arizona health, cdc, deaths, disease control and prevention, flu, h1n1, health officials, influenza, influenza virus, ksl, local radio station, new virus, old man, respiratory problems, salt lake county, sibling, swine flu, tally, utah health department, young man