Ukraine introduces ban on public smokingMay 25th, 2012 - 9:50 am ICT by IANS
Kiev, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Ukrainian parliament has approved a legislation prohibiting smoking at public places, including restaurants, stadiums and government buildings.
“The adoption of this document was necessary since, according to statistics, 11 million Ukrainians are addicted to smoking as well as, unfortunately, every fourth child from 12 to 16,” Tatyana Bakhteyeva, the initiator of the law, said.
According to the law, smoking cigarettes, electronic cigarettes and hookahs are prohibited in health care services, playgrounds, stadiums, elevators, phone booths, on public transport, in cafes, restaurants, and cultural facilities.
The legislation sets up to $1,250 penalty and was supported by over 80 percent of Ukrainians, Bakhteyeva said. It will come into force in six months after being published.
Over 10 EU countries have already officially introduced smoking bans. The number of heart attacks fell by 17 percent a year after banning public smoking.
Russia is the number one tobacco consumer in the world, according to the Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS). Some 44 million Russians smoke, or approximately 40 percent of the population.
- Russia to ban hookah smoking in public - Nov 10, 2011
- Civic agencies get court notice on illegal hookah bars - Aug 01, 2012
- Hookah bars violating anti-smoke rules: NGO - Oct 01, 2011
- As hookah becomes in, it raises health concerns (Lifestyle Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Goa to ban smoking on its beaches next season - Jul 14, 2012
- 'US college women gravitate towards hookah' - Jul 19, 2012
- Maharashtra among top tobacco consumers in India - Jun 15, 2012
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- Argentine capital Buenos Aires becomes smoke-free - Jan 07, 2012
- Like India, Russia to scare smokers with grim pictures - May 11, 2012
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
- Delhi fines 21,600 public smokers in 15 months - Apr 30, 2011
- Moscow to ban smoking in restaurants by 2014 - May 05, 2012
- Delhi civic body tightens anti-tobacco measures - Jul 15, 2011
- Uttarakhand is biggest tobacco consumer in north: Survey - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: adult tobacco, banning public smoking, cafes restaurants, elevators, eu countries, government buildings, health care services, heart attacks, hookahs, initiator, phone booths, playgrounds, ria novosti, russians, smoking cigarettes, stadiums, tatyana, tobacco survey, ukrainian parliament, ukrainians