Tuberculosis kills 68,000 Pakistanis every yearMarch 20th, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 20 (IANS) Tuberculosis kills 68,000 people in Pakistan every year as an untreated patient transfers the disease to 10-15 people, a senior official said.
The country has 700,000 tuberculosis patients now, Hashim Raza Zaidi, the secretary of health, said at an event in Karachi on the occasion of World Tuberculosis Day Saturday.
Zaidi said that in Sindh province alone, 1,000 treatment centres and 272 diagnostic centres had been set up to provide free medicines.
A tuberculosis control programme has set up by the government in Sindh at a cost of Rs.213 million, the Daily Times reported.
Masood Hameed Khan, vice chancellor of the Dow University of Health Sciences, which conducted the programme, said negligence, carelessness and lack of awareness about tuberculosis leads to a very complicated form of the disease known as “Multi Drug Resistant-Tuberculosis”.
He said the university would soon start a web-based training programme for doctors treating tuberculosis patients.
- India battles staggering tuberculosis burden (March 24 is World TB Day) - Mar 23, 2011
- 18 affordable health kiosks set up in Bangalore - Aug 05, 2012
- Sputum test best to detect TB: Azad - Sep 02, 2011
- Awareness programmes mark World Tuberculosis Day in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Need to upgrade diagnostic facilities in health sector' - Feb 13, 2011
- TB patients at a higher risk for lung cancer: Study - Jan 01, 2011
- Diabetics face four times greater TB risk - Jul 10, 2012
- Standard re-treatment regimen for TB 'failing' in developing world - Mar 16, 2011
- Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis worrying authorities - Feb 10, 2010
- Gonorrhea cure gets tough as bug grows drug resistant - Nov 08, 2011
- SMART biochip can speedily detect flu virus - Jun 11, 2012
- TB patients 'more prone to lung cancer' - Jan 03, 2011
- Berlin 2010: TB, HIV and Lung Health: From research and innovation to solutions - Nov 02, 2010
- Electronic Nose can sniff tuberculosis - Nov 06, 2011
- Cabinet approves scaling up services of management of drug resistant tuberculosis - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: carelessness, diagnostic centres, dow university of health sciences, drug resistant tuberculosis, free medicines, hameed khan, karachi, lack of awareness, multi drug resistant tuberculosis, negligence, pakistanis, raza zaidi, training programme, tuberculosis, tuberculosis control, tuberculosis patients, university of health sciences, vice chancellor, web based training, world tuberculosis