Treatment helps woman deliver twins at 51September 21st, 2010 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) A woman who remained childless for 23 years after marriage has delivered twins through an assisted reproductive method at the age of 51, her doctor said Tuesday.
The woman, Anita Mathur, was treated by a team of doctors in a private clinic in the capital through the In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) technique. She had a normal delivery some months back.
“Anita had not been able to conceive even after 23 years of her marriage. She was old enough and could not produce eggs. We managed to retrieve two eggs and IVF helped her conceive,” Manika Khanna, who conducted the procedure, told IANS.
IVF involves fertilization of eggs and sperm outside the woman’s womb.
“The success of IVF is less when the woman is above 42 years of age. Hormonal profiling was complicated in Anita’s case,” added Khanna.
Anita had failed two IVF cycles before she could finally conceive.
The infertility rate in woman is said to increase as the age increases. Decisions to conceive late and smoking are also attributed to infertility among women.
- IVF centres lack counselling facilities: Survey - Oct 13, 2011
- Lifestyle disorders causing infertility in women - Feb 06, 2011
- IVF clinics mushroom under toothless ICMR guidelines (Feature) - Oct 19, 2011
- Stress, hectic lifestyle raises IVF demand - Sep 03, 2011
- Gel soon to perk up male fertility - Apr 15, 2012
- Womb transplants possible next year: Expert - Mar 27, 2011
- Shanghai sperm bank has 100,000 samples - Sep 10, 2012
- Handheld fertility device 'as effective as IVF' - Oct 19, 2010
- Fertility treatments show diminishing returns - Aug 06, 2010
- British fertility device as effective as IVF - Oct 18, 2010
- Stillbirth risk increases fourfold in IVF mums: Study - Feb 24, 2010
- New IVF test trebles chance of healthy baby - Oct 27, 2010
- First genetic test for predicting IVF success developed - Jan 16, 2011
- IVF children more likely to develop cancer - Jul 21, 2010
- India becoming a designer baby factory: Author Kishwar Desai (With Image) - May 31, 2012