Trained Dog Can Smell Diabetic Emergencies!February 8th, 2011 - 5:05 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Feb 8, (THAINDIAN NEWS) There are many instances of dogs helping humans and saving their lives in history. The canines are also used in rescuing accident victims and tracing injured in an accident sites. However it is not commonplace to come across dogs that can detect signs of illness in their owners and act accordingly. Therefore it is not hard to guess why the tale of Shirley the Labrador has made headlines and taken even the animal experts by amazement. The owner of the canine, Rebecca Farrar suffers from an aggressive variant of type one diabetes which means she can reach coma after suffering a hypoglycaemic attack. It is not possible for the young old girl to understand when her blood sugar levels are dipping below. However the dog can understand that with her extraordinary power of smell.
When the Labrador sniffs a change in the blood sugar level she starts licking the girl as a precaution. If that does not wake up the girl the intelligent dog approaches others for help. The mother of the girl Claire Farrar said “If Shirley can’t wake her up during the night she comes into my bedroom and gets me up. It’s like Lassie.” The dog was trained extensively by the Medical Detection Dogs charity for a year.
The dog has made the owners amazed. Even the trainers at the UK charity are surprised by her sniffing skill. If this can be incorporated in other dogs a lot of lives can be saved. A lot of youngsters pass out from the disease each year and canines can be used to warn them before they fall in coma.
- Labrador can sniff out bowel cancer even in early stage - Feb 01, 2011
- Canines get ready to sniff out trouble at Games (With Images) - Aug 10, 2010
- Heroic dog to be honoured for finding bombs in Afghanistan - Feb 07, 2010
- Dogs 'can sniff out cancer in stool' - Feb 01, 2011
- Dogs at Queen's estate in Sandringham struck by rare disease - Sep 19, 2011
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Dogs Guided Remotely Can Perform Risky Jobs, Claims New Study - Jan 20, 2011
- Taxi driver takes dog from Madrid to London - Dec 12, 2011
- How service dogs help ease disabled living - Dec 30, 2009
- Pets can sniff out owner's cancer - Dec 24, 2009
- Using dogs to 'sniff out' wildlife - Jan 12, 2011
- Security goes to the dogs this I-Day - Aug 12, 2011
- Dogs compete for status 'peeing over pee' - Apr 28, 2011
- Maoists kill villager in Jhargram - Jan 27, 2011
- Phydough Food Trucks To Make Life Better For Dogs! - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: accident victims, amazement, animal experts, blood sugar level, blood sugar levels, canines, detection dogs, diabetes, diabetic emergencies, farrar, headlines, instances, labrador, old girl, precaution, rebecca, signs, type one diabetes, uk charity, youngsters