Torn corneas and vision issues follow contact lenses recallsOctober 11th, 2011 - 11:54 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Oct 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Federal health officials in the United States are threatening to issue a recall of contact eye glasses of a major manufacturer after complaints of blurry vision and torn corneas. CooperVision Inc. is the manufacturer of such contact glasses like Avaira Toric which are sold in almost all the major retail shops.
The Food and Drugs Administration has threatened to issue a nationwide recall of all the contact lenses manufactured by CopperVision if they fail to provide further information on a quiet recall which was issued last August.
A spokesperson of the FDA, Morgan Liscinsky, explained that, “Absent prompt and adequate communication by CooperVision, the FDA may independently share its concerns about Avaira Toric contact lenses.”
Some people have complained of having their sight affected after they wore the contact lenses from the company. In the August recall, the company explained that an unidentified residue was responsible for the reaction of the patients.
Mellisa Cotton was one of the patients who had negative reaction after wearing the glasses. She told MSNBC.com that the FDA needs to be more serious with the company. She says the FDA should also warn the public about the implications of wearing the contact lenses from the company.
- Blinding amoeba targets contact lens users - Sep 07, 2012
- China to keep an eye on cosmetic contact lenses - Jan 20, 2012
- Wearing multifocal contact lenses may reduce vision for driving at night - Nov 04, 2010
- Now, contact lenses to sharpen aging eyes - Jul 29, 2009
- Lady Gaga-inspired coloured contact lenses harmful for eyes! - Jan 24, 2011
- Popularity of Lady Gaga's "doe-eyed" look raises safety concerns - Jul 08, 2010
- Biosynthetic corneas restore vision in humans for the first time - Aug 26, 2010
- Ranbaxy approved to make first generic version of Lipitor - Dec 01, 2011
- Now, adjustable glasses for astronauts with deteriorating eyesight - Aug 26, 2010
- V/H/S horror film's graphic scenes sickens people at Sundance Film Festival - Jan 31, 2012
- Botox 'may help women with vaginal spasms that prevent them from having sex' - Feb 26, 2011
- Looking like eye-popping Lady Gaga could make you go blind - Aug 25, 2010
- Make those eyes lustrous - use eye make-up properly - Jan 15, 2012
- Worn during sleep, special contact lens can correct myopia - May 04, 2011
- World's first electronic glasses to replace bifocals - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: adequate communication, blurry vision, coopervision inc, coppervision, corneas, drugs administration, eye glasses, fda, federal health officials, msnbc, oct 11, retail shops, spokesperson, toric contact lenses, vision issues