Tobacco kills over five million every year, says UNMay 31st, 2009 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, May 31 (IANS) Some 5.4 million people die every year from tobacco-related illnesses, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Sunday, and urged governments to address “this needless threat to public health”.
In his message on the “World No Tobacco Day”, he said that 80 percent of the deaths occurred in the low and middle-income countries, IRNA reported. May 31 was observed as “World No Tobacco Day”.
Almost half of all smokers die from tobacco-related diseases, and science has shown smoke harms everyone who is exposed to it.
If left unchecked, tobacco-related deaths would rise to more than eight million by 2030, the UN Information Centre said in a statement, citing the UN chief.
“Lung cancer, heart disease and other tobacco-related illnesses are part of a broader epidemic of non-communicable diseases, which include strokes, cancer, chronic respiratory diseases and diabetes. These diseases have become the world’s leading cause of mortality,” the statement added.
“I urge governments everywhere to address this needless threat to public health,” Ban said.
- Non-communicable diseases threat to development: UN chief - Sep 20, 2011
- Tobacco kills 1.5 million women annually: UN - May 31, 2010
- Smoking related health problems hampering China's economic growth - Jan 07, 2011
- WHO asks Asian governments to pass anti-tobacco laws - May 31, 2011
- Poor people are most hard-hit by TB, COPD and tobacco - Nov 06, 2010
- Only 5.4 pct of world's people covered by smoke free laws in 2008: WHO - Dec 09, 2009
- Cuba launches world's first lung cancer retardant - Sep 07, 2011
- Maharashtra among top tobacco consumers in India - Jun 15, 2012
- Tobacco kills 55,000 people in Spain every year - May 31, 2011
- WHO urges countries to tackle tobacco epidemic - May 30, 2011
- 'Lifestyle diseases growing in developing world' - Aug 30, 2012
- Smoking fatalities set to triple in China - Jan 07, 2011
- Non-communicable diseases leading cause of deaths: UN - Apr 28, 2011
- Health ministry plans plain packaging of tobacco products - Jul 23, 2012
- Non-communicable diseases threaten southeast Asian economies: WHO - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: ban ki moon, chronic respiratory diseases, diabetes, epidemic, governments, heart disease, information centre, leading cause of mortality, lung cancer, middle income countries, non communicable diseases, public health, science, smokers, strokes, tehran, tobacco related deaths, tobacco related illnesses, un secretary general