Tobacco, cannabis smoking may lower person’s Emotional IntelligenceNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:24 am ICT by admin
The Stress and Health Research Group (GIES) of the UAB Department of General, Development and Educational Psychology analysed the relation between EI and the use of tobacco and cannabis among 133 students with an average age of 21.5.
The analysis of the study found that students who had started smoking either tobacco or cannabis at a younger age and who regularly smoked these substances obtained lower scores in questions related to emotional regulation.
Thus students who were less able to regulate their emotional state were more tempted to consume tobacco and/or cannabis and regular consumption of these substances was a way of making up for the emotional shortage.
Young people who clearly comprehended the emotions they were experiencing, together with the situations in which they appeared, were also those who consumed less amounts of cannabis.
The researchers concluded that personal abilities were key element in adapting to the demands of each person’s surroundings and, in addition to actions addressed to preventing first contacts with drugs and their consolidation among people, developing one’s EI could help prevent teenagers from the temptation of taking drugs. (ANI)
- Drugs worth $2.3 mn seized in Ireland - Sep 21, 2011
- Peer drug-use 'ups an individual's genetic tendency to use drugs' - Jun 22, 2010
- Cannabis smoking permanently lowers IQ - Aug 29, 2012
- Motivational interviewing for smoking cessation may not be best option - Dec 26, 2010
- Cannabis smoke alters human DNA: Study - Jun 17, 2009
- Emotional understanding may prevent depression among new mums - Jan 24, 2010
- Devious people take emotionally intelligent for a ride - May 21, 2012
- Rajasthan warns teachers on smoking, tobacco consumption - Sep 06, 2012
- Smoking scenes on China's TV screens 'could mislead teens' - Jan 09, 2011
- Buddhist Monk Arrested In Bhutan Under New Smoking Law - Jan 30, 2011
- 'US college women gravitate towards hookah' - Jul 19, 2012
- Want to quit smoking? Get professional help - Jan 04, 2011
- Teens keeping late nights might be into risky behaviour - Mar 05, 2012
- We Need A Lifetime Of No Tobacco, And Not Merely A Day - May 28, 2010
- Lifting weights can help smokers kick habit - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: cannabis, comprehend, consumption, educational psychology, emotional intelligence, emotional regulation, emotional state, emotions, general development, gies, health research group, personal abilities, stress and health, substances, surroundings, taking drugs, temptation, tobacco, uab department