Three striking nurses threaten suicide in KeralaAugust 15th, 2012 - 12:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Aug 15 (IANS) As the country celebrated Independence Day, three nurses on strike Wednesday threatened to commit suicide by jumping off their hospital’s terrace.
The three nurses readied to make the suicidal jump as the strike by a section of the nurses in Kothamangalam Mar Baselious Hospital, numbering around 100, entered its 114th day.
Labour Minister Shibhu Baby John told IANS that the police and hospital management are doing their best to pacify the nurses to see that better sense prevailed and they came down from the terrace.
“Fire officials are there and we expect the situation to be defused soon,” he said.
“We have been involved in settling their (nurses) issues and statutory policies are now being followed by the hospital management,” John said.
“My officials have held numerous talks to settle the issue and now it appears that the strike is getting prolonged because of rivalry between two nurses’ unions,” said the minister.
The three nurses, to attract attention, went to the terrace of the hospital building early in the morning.
When media persons tried to reach them, the nurses threatened to jump off the building.
- Kerala nurses end strike (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Nurses refuse to come down from Kerala hospital terrace - Aug 16, 2012
- Nurses' strike: Court orders police protection for hospital (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Nurses' strike: Court orders police protection for hospital - Feb 01, 2012
- Andhra nurses call off hunger strike atop water tank (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Woman commits suicide, six held in dowry case - Jun 14, 2012
- Smart City Kochi, Kerala government to float skill academy - Jan 23, 2012
- CPI-M supports nurses' stir in Kerala - Feb 04, 2012
- Doctor attempts suicide at Delhi hospital - Nov 23, 2011
- Nurses continue hunger strike atop water tank - Dec 06, 2010
- Kerala nurses in demand abroad but exploited at home - Dec 16, 2011
- Two jump to death off burning building - Nov 12, 2011
- Class 9 boy jumps off building, dies - Sep 06, 2012
- Ranchi hospital nurses call off strike - Aug 22, 2010
- Fourth suicide at Delhi Metro premises in 6 days (Lead) - May 08, 2012
Tags: baby john, better sense, celebrated independence, fire officials, hospital management, independence day, kerala, kochi, labour minister, media persons, nurses issues, nurses unions, rivalry, statutory policies, striking nurses, suicide