Thousands protest against chemical plant in ChinaAugust 14th, 2011 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 14 (IANS) Thousands of residents staged a protest and scuffled with police Sunday morning in the northwestern port city of Dalian seeking relocation of a chemical plant over fears of toxic leaks.
The protesters, mostly young people, sang the national anthem and displayed banners reading “We want to survive” and “We want a good environment”, Xinhua reported.
They chanted “Fujia (the chemical plant), get out” and scuffled with riot control officers in a public square in front of Dalian’s municipal government offices. There were no reports of injuries.
The protest started with a small crowd sitting in front of the buildings around 10 a.m. Sunday and quickly grew from there.
The city’s Communist Party of China (CPC) chief Tang Jun and mayor Li Wancai tried to pacify the crowd by promising to move the plant out of the city.
The plant is a producer of paraxylene (PX), a petrochemical used to create raw materials for the production of polyester film and fabrics. The chemical is carcinogenic, which is any substance or radiation that is an agent directly involved in causing cancer.
Calls to relocate the Fujia Chemical Plant mounted this week after large waves whipped up by tropical storm Muifa breached an embankment near the plant.
Built to protect the plant from floodwaters; residents are concerned that a potential flood could damage the plant and cause it to release toxic chemicals.
- 200,000 evacuated in China in fear of typhoon - Aug 06, 2011
- Cabinet nod for petrochemical region in Tamil Nadu - Jul 04, 2012
- China braces for Typhoon Muifa - Aug 07, 2011
- Reliance Industries plans major capacity expansion - Apr 13, 2011
- Chinese river turns white after chemical leak - Jul 11, 2012
- Cancer-causing chemicals found in China milk - Dec 27, 2011
- Rape victim's mother released from Chinese labour camp - Aug 10, 2012
- China mourns death of Indian doctor's wife - Jun 29, 2012
- Wrongly produced green biofuels can be harmful - Jul 31, 2011
- Flames Continue At Mont Belvieu's Enterprise Products Petrochemical Plant - Feb 09, 2011
- Typhoon Muifa: China evacuates 206,000, issues red alert (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Bugs can destroy toxins in polluted groundwater - Aug 02, 2011
- Bikaner residents block roads to protest murder - Jun 30, 2012
- L&T bags Rs.2,000 crore order from Managalore Petrochemicals - Mar 15, 2010
- Intel opens chip plant in China - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: china beijing, communist party of china, cpc, embankment, fabrics, leaks, municipal government offices, national anthem, paraxylene, petrochemical, polyester film, protesters, px, raw materials, riot control, sunday morning, tang, toxic chemicals, tropical storm, xinhua