Teenagers facing danger in British mental asylumsMarch 25th, 2012 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 25 (IANS) Various teenagers in Britain are being locked up alongside potentially dangerous adults in mental hospitals following a crisis in health services for the young, the Daily Express reported Sunday.
According to the report, the Under-18s with mental health problems spent equivalent of 5,166 nights in adult psychiatric wards last year, despite laws introduced five years ago aimed at stamping out the practice.
Sally Hodges, associate clinical director of the north London based Tavistock Centre, one of the leading child mental health units in the country, said: “The provision of mental health services for young people is not enough and recent cutbacks have made the situation worse.”
“It is wholly inappropriate for children to be in adult wards where they are at risk from abuse from patients,” she added.
Following a number of scandals in which youngsters were physically and verbally abused and traumatised by their experiences in adult wards, a new clause to the Mental Health Act 2007 barred local authorities from placing children in adult psychiatric wards in all but exceptional circumstances.
- Female patients face harassment, sexual assaults in Victorian psychiatric wards - Oct 02, 2010
- British schools send off 900 violent pupils each day - Jul 30, 2011
- Brit kids considering sex change given access to puberty blocking drugs - Apr 16, 2011
- Sexual abuse survivors prone to psychiatric disorders - Jul 13, 2010
- Canada unveils national mental health strategy - May 09, 2012
- Thousands of British kids vulnerable to sex abuse - Jul 03, 2012
- Norway to build separate psychiatric ward for Breivik - Jun 29, 2012
- Healthy childhood boosts job prospects in middle-age - Sep 14, 2011
- Catherine Zeta Jones 'received treatment for manic depression' - Apr 14, 2011
- Sexual and violent ads linked to children's inappropriate behaviour - Apr 30, 2011
- Kashmir mental health institute gets excellence tag - Oct 15, 2011
- 'Include rehabilitation in children sexual offence bill' - Dec 21, 2011
- Infants, toddlers too suffer mental illness - Feb 27, 2011
- Mother's alcoholism especially affects daughter's mental health - Jul 21, 2010
- Working women recover from domestic violence - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,