Teen bleeds after tongue piercing at parlourMay 5th, 2010 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 5 (IANS) A British teenager began bleeding heavily after having her tongue pierced at a tattoo parlour. Her family is now considering suing the parlour which has denied any wrongdoing.
Reece-Marie Hall, 16, needed an emergency operation after she started bleeding heavily following the 15-pound procedure to insert a silver bar in her tongue.
She was taken to hospital by ambulance and had to be placed under general anaesthetic before doctors removed the bar and stemmed the bleeding from a suspected ruptured vein, reported the website of Daily Mail.
Reece-Marie visited the Classic piercing and tattoo studio in Hull city centre.
“At first my tongue didn’t bleed, but after I left the shop, the tongue started pouring with blood,” she said. “I kept choking”.
She returned to the shop, where staff gave her some gauze. But when she arrived home in North Hull, her 35-year-old mother Leeanne called an ambulance.
She said: “When I got there I nearly passed out - there was so much blood. Reece-Marie now has a lisp and I can’t always understand what she’s saying. I hope it isn’t a permanent thing”.
Reece-Marie, who also has trouble in eating, added: “I am taking iron because I lost too much blood and I am also on antibiotics and paracetamol. My tongue is not as swollen as it was, but it has stitches in it and it’s very painful”.
The family says it is considering suing the shop. Tattoo and piercing parlours need to be registered with the local authority for cleanliness checks, but there is no minimum legal age for body piercing although the city council recommends parental consent be sought for under-16s.
Steve Rowe, who carried out the procedure, blamed the teenager for causing the problem. He said she must have “interfered” with the piercing after leaving his shop.
He said: “She was on our premises for at least ten minutes after she had the tongue pierced.
“She paid me and she left happy. She didn’t come back for about half an hour. When she did I applied minimal pressure for about one minute and the bleeding did stop. But she wouldn’t leave it alone and kept making it worse”.
Rowe said he had not caused Reece-Marie’s injury. “I have been doing this for 30 years and before I puncture the tongue I check for veins,” he added.
- Angelina Jolie opens up about her 'body art' - Sep 14, 2010
- Katie Price gets her 'Pete' tattoo covered up - May 02, 2011
- Megan Fox getting her 'Marilyn Monroe' tattoo removed - Aug 23, 2011
- Jolie's mystery tattoo after 'crazy' night out - Sep 14, 2010
- Fancy body piercing? Get your hygiene right - Aug 25, 2011
- Fancy a tattoo? Beware of hepatitis virus (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 28, 2011
- Kylie sports grungy look in new film - Jul 10, 2012
- Frankie Cocozza turned down by Jodie Marsh - Mar 01, 2012
- Health experts call for law against 'extreme piercing' in kids as young as 11 - Jan 02, 2011
- Becks tougher than gansters, says tattooist - Feb 27, 2011
- Rowland shows off her first tattoo - Feb 18, 2011
- Baby born with no blood saved by doctors - Jan 27, 2012
- Dentist arrested after fighting with elderly woman - May 28, 2011
- Huggens, Tisdale get new tattoos - Sep 11, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan gets new tattoo - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,