Teacher, nurse responsible for Aakriti’s death: Sheila DikshitMay 20th, 2009 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) A teacher and a nurse of the elite Modern School at Vasant Vihar here are responsible for the death of 17-year-old Aakriti Bhatia, who suffered an asthma attack in school last month, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikhit said Wednesday citing initial reports.
“Prima facie it looks that the nurse and teacher are responsible and the school should suspend them for the time being. Everything will be cleared after the viscera report is received,” Dikshit told reporters here.
Aakriti, a Class 12 student of Modern School, had suffered an asthma attack in school April 20 and died on the way to hospital.
Her parents and fellow students had accused school authorities of not taking timely action when Aakriti suffered an asthma attack. The Delhi government had ordered an inquiry into Aakriti’s death, though the school had denied allegations of negligence.
According to an education department source, “the committee appointed by the department to probe the matter found lapses on the part of the school authorities”.
“The panel was headed by Regional Director Sunita S. Kaushik. The report stated that the school authorities failed to provide proper and timely medication to Aakriti…It also observed that the principal of the school Goldy Malhotra did not take adequate steps to ensure proper medical treatment to the teenager,” the source added.
Repeated attempts to contact senior officials of the education department proved futile.
- Aakriti case: Government seeks action against teacher, nurse - May 21, 2009
- Health checks in schools should be compulsory: Renuka Chowdhury - Apr 22, 2009
- Delhi government panel begins inquiry into Akkriti's death - Apr 25, 2009
- Candlelight march held against Modern School over girl's death (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Akkriti's autopsy report hints she died of asphyxiation - Apr 24, 2009
- Delhi government orders inquiry into Aakriti's death - Apr 23, 2009
- Students from other schools join protest at Modern School - Apr 23, 2009
- Anguished parents, students demand justice for Aakriti (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Parents, students protest Aakriti's death, want principal to resign - Apr 23, 2009
- Students on Facebook: Aakriti must get justice - Apr 23, 2009
- Akkriti's parents, friends continue protest outside school - Apr 29, 2009
- Students hold candlelight march for Akkriti - Apr 24, 2009
- Aakriti's death unfortunate, we're medically well equipped: Delhi schools - Apr 23, 2009
- Modern School reopens amid protests by students - Apr 27, 2009
- Five Rajasthan doctors booked for corruption - May 30, 2012
Tags: adequate steps, asthma attack, bhatia, chief minister, delhi government, education department, fellow students, initial reports, kaushik, lapses, negligence, proper medical treatment, regional director, report stated that, school authorities, senior officials, sheila dikshit, timely action, vasant vihar, viscera