Take zinc to shake off coldFebruary 16th, 2011 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 16 (IANS) Take zinc to shake off a nasty cold, a review study says.
The latest Cochrane Review found that people who took a zinc syrup solution or lozenge every two hours while they had cold were twice as likely to have shed it within a week as those who took a placebo.
Children who took a zinc tablet once a day for at least five months were also a third less likely to get colds as those who took a placebo, the Telegraph reports.
The scientists concluded: “Evidence shows that zinc is beneficial for the common cold in healthy children and adults living in high-income countries.
“Zinc also reduced the incidence of the common cold, school absence and antibiotic use in healthy children.”
The last Cochrane Review on zinc, in 1999, found “no strong evidence” that it had any positive effect on colds, but studies since then have forced a reappraisal.
However, the scientists cautioned that they did not yet know what dose was best. Side effects of zinc formulations included nausea, bad taste and diarrhoea. Doses ranged from 30 to 160 mg per day.
- Zinc 'can treat the common cold' - Feb 16, 2011
- Zinc lozenge, the sweet pill for common cold? - Jul 27, 2011
- Aspirin could be the best remedy for migraine - Apr 14, 2010
- Zinc-antibiotic saves kids with pneumonia - Feb 08, 2012
- An aspirin a day keeps bowel cancer at bay - Sep 16, 2010
- Vitamin supplements 'reduce incidence of measles and diarrhoea' - Dec 08, 2010
- Drug that helps prevent relapse in alcoholics effectively - Sep 08, 2010
- Ibuprofen may help people suffering from migraine headaches - Oct 06, 2010
- Experts challenge FDA approval for Alzheimer's drug - Mar 25, 2012
- Popping a pill can help treat alcoholism - Dec 15, 2010
- Study: Echinacea isn't an effective treatment for the common cold - Dec 21, 2010
- Paracetamol takes pain out of rejection - Feb 26, 2012
- An aspirin a day 'cuts cancer death rate by 50pc' - Dec 07, 2010
- Roads speed up deadly superbug spread - Sep 30, 2011
- Probiotics cut duration of stomach upsets - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: adults, antibiotic use, bad taste, cochrane review, colds, common cold, diarrhoea, five months, income countries, london feb, nasty cold, placebo, school absence, scientists, side effects of zinc, telegraph