Swine flu vaccine nearing development: OfficialJanuary 2nd, 2010 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Jan 2 (IANS) India is close to developing a vaccine to prevent swine flu and it should be ready by March or April, a senior health official said Saturday.
“We are close to developing effective vaccines to contain swine flu. One company has already begun testing on humans, while two other companies have concluded trials on animals. Definitely in March, by April-end 100 percent, we should have the vaccines,” Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) chief and secretary, health research V.M. Katoch told IANS.
“It has been our strategy from the very beginning to develop our own capabilities and to strengthen our own indigenous drug industry. Once the vaccines come, we could even think of marketing them globally,” he said.
Diagnostic kits, developed indigenously, will also be available soon, Katoch said, adding oince they are available in the market, the cost of treatment will come down.
Katoch said swine flu should abate within one year and advised early treatment as soon as the symptoms appear.
“Early treatment after classical flu symptoms is advisable and the dose should be full. We are lucky to have a very effective medicine available with us. But we have deliberately restricted its availability to ensure people do not take the drug out of fear and panic, otherwise the virus will become resistant and then we will be handicapped,” he pointed out.
- Pharma firms to conduct H1N1 vaccine human trials in India - Dec 08, 2009
- 'Superbug scare meant to hit Indian medical tourism' - Dec 04, 2011
- India developing indigenous swine flu vaccine (Interview) - Aug 09, 2009
- Swine flu vaccine in six months: Health ministry - Jun 12, 2009
- India to produce raw material for swine flu drug, toll touches 220 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2009
- Swine flu vaccine shortage in Delhi - Jul 14, 2010
- India to unveil second swine flu vaccine - Jul 09, 2010
- One swine flu death, 40 new cases in Delhi - Aug 23, 2010
- South Asian nations to collaborate on health care - Feb 07, 2012
- Imported swine flu vaccine will reach India in February - Jan 20, 2010
- Swine flu threat persists for India: Ministry - Aug 15, 2010
- India to develop swine flu vaccine by 2010: Azad - Nov 24, 2009
- Health experts urge pregnant women to get flu shots - Sep 24, 2009
- First ever pill to beat HIV under FDA consideration - May 10, 2012
- Swine flu vaccine yet to hit Delhi markets - Jun 06, 2010
Tags: animals, capabilities, diagnostic kits, fear and panic, flu, flu symptoms, health official, health research, icmr, India, medical research, medicine, senior health, swine flu vaccine, vaccines, virus