Swine flu not under control yet: Mexican presidentMay 7th, 2009 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 7 (Xinhua) The outbreak of influenza A(H1N1), which has killed 42 people and sickened 1,070 in Mexico, was not yet completely under control in the country despite a fall in the number of confirmed cases, President Felipe Calderon has said.
Measures taken by health authorities have helped check the disease, the president said during a visit to the eastern state of Michoacan Wednesday.
Calderon said that the fall in infections did not mean that the virus has disappeared, even in the states that have not seen a single case.
The president added that the country’s capacity to test flu samples has been expanded to 700 per day and the flu outbreak has helped the nation improve its health infrastructure and disease prevention culture.
“After this emergency, which I am sure we will overcome, Mexico will be… stronger, more prepared, with an elevated disease prevention culture, with hygiene and health habits and practices which will help us improve conditions for our people,” he said.
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- TERI's Pachauri gets Mexican humanitarian award - Jun 18, 2012
- Pandemic flu concerns have positive effect on personal hygiene behaviour - May 28, 2010
- Swine flu probably originated in US, says Mexico - Mar 30, 2010
- Swine flu cases now 1,893, Canada decodes its genetic make-up (Roundup) - May 07, 2009
- School fees now deductible from income tax in Mexico - Feb 16, 2011
- Young child among eleven H1N1 flu deaths in Jordan - Jan 23, 2011
- Swine flu cases top 1,160, Canada reports first severe case (Roundup) - May 05, 2009
- 58 Mexicans die of flu - Feb 06, 2012
- Mexico denies hiding information on flu - May 13, 2009
- Mexico to launch three new satellites - Oct 06, 2010
- Mexico raises number of swine flu cases to 312 - May 01, 2009
- Mexico returning to normal: President - May 05, 2009
- India prepared to deal with bird flu: Government - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: disease prevention, flu, flu outbreak, h1n1, health authorities, health habits, health infrastructure, hygiene, influenza, measures, mexican president, mexico city, michoacan, president felipe calderon, swine flu, virus, xinhua