Swine flu fallout: Indore pig breeders told to leaveMay 5th, 2009 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, May 5 (IANS) Authorities in Madhya Pradesh’s Indore city Tuesday asked pig breeders to move out within a day in view of the deadly swine flu virus that has prompted strict screening of passengers at airports across India, officials said.
“Prompted by the swine flu scare, the Indore Municipal Corporation’s (IMC) health department has decided against gunning down pigs as contemplated earlier. It has also issued an advisory to hotels and marriage garden owners asking them not to stock imported pork,” said Rajendra Rathore, Mayor-in-Council (MiC) incharge of health department.
A 30-member IMC team headed by veterinarian Uttam Yadav and his assistant Veerendra Upadhyaya inspected pig breeding sites in the city including Pardesipura, Subhash Nagar and Badi Gwaltoli Monday and warned the piggery owners that their animals would be gunned down if they failed to move out.
“Health officials had earlier declared that they would shoot the animals belonging to piggeries but later it was decided to give the owners one final chance,” Rathore told IANS over phone.
“Moreover, we want to avoid killing the pigs as far as possible because it may lead to a big hue and cry and protests by animal rights activists,” said another official.
The IMC official also said that relocation notices would soon be issued to the 40 odd piggeries located within the city
There are an estimated 10,000 pigs in Indore.
- Northeast on swine flu radar, pig import banned - Jun 16, 2009
- Karnataka misses pork delicacies in time of swine flu - May 05, 2009
- Swine flu alert in northeast India - Apr 30, 2009
- Goa battles rumours about swine flu - Apr 29, 2009
- Meghalaya pig breeders told to follow strict hygiene to counter swine flu - May 03, 2009
- Orissa to monitor health of pigs after flu threat - May 01, 2009
- US finds first case of swine flu in pigs - Oct 20, 2009
- Piglet with two snouts born in China - Dec 14, 2011
- Deadly superbugs can come from animal farms too - Jan 26, 2011
- Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu) - Apr 26, 2009
- Swine flu erupts in Maharashtra, claims four lives - Mar 17, 2012
- Spain economic crisis sends 5,000 horses a month to slaughter - Jul 10, 2012
- CDC confirms three new swine flu cases in Iowa - Nov 25, 2011
- Manipur on alert against swine flu - Apr 30, 2009
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: animal rights activists, badi, fallout, flu, flu virus, health department, health officials, hue and cry, imc, incharge, indore city, madhya pradesh, pig breeders, pigs, protests, strict screening, subhash, swine flu, veterinarian, yadav