Suspected brain disease kills five in BiharSeptember 10th, 2011 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 10 (IANS) Suspected encephalitis, a brain infection, killed five children in Bihar’s Gaya district, taking the death toll in the state due to the disease to 16, an official said Saturday.
The five children died in the last 24 hours at Anugrah Narain Medical College and Hospital in Gaya, about 100 km from here, said a district health official. Nine children earlier died of suspected encephalitis.
The children reported high fever, followed by bouts of unconsciousness and convulsions.
Ajay Kishor Ravi, head of the hospital’s child department, said that till date nearly 50 children with suspected encephalitis were admitted for treatment. “Most of the children were from rural areas of Gaya and neighbouring districts,” he said.
“More than half a dozen children are battling for life,” he said.
Bihar Health Minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey said measures were being taken to check the spread of the disease.
A district administration official in Gaya told IANS by telephone that suspected encephalitis hit Gaya in 2009, 2007 and 2005 and killed dozens of children.
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills five children - Sep 20, 2011
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- Bihar: Suspected encephalitis kills six more - Sep 14, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
- Two more kids die of encephalitis in Bihar, toll 85 - Nov 17, 2011
- Bihar: Suspected brain disease kills 54 children - Oct 03, 2011
- Cold wave in Bihar ends encephalitis epidemic - Dec 27, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 3 kids in Bihar, toll at 92 - Dec 08, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 8 more kids in Bihar - Oct 13, 2011
- Japanese encephalitis kills 68 kids in Gaya - Oct 17, 2011
- Mystery disease kills four more in Bihar - Jun 21, 2011
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- WHO experts investigate Bihar's mystery disease - Jun 24, 2011
- Mystery disease kills four more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,