Suspected anthrax outbreak in Orissa, 25 illJuly 31st, 2010 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 30 (IANS) At least 25 people, including six women, and a child have fallen ill with suspected anthrax contracted from dead animals in Orissa’s Sundergarh district, health official said Friday.
The people found with the infection are residents of Dukatola village and its nearby hamlets, some 500 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, chief district medical officer Bikrant Kindo told IANS. “All of them are responding to treatments and recovering,” he said.
About two days ago two residents of the area came to the hospital with anthrax symptoms. “We sent health officials to the area and found more people having the similar symptoms,” he said.
Health officials including doctors are camping in the area and treating the patients at their homes, he said.
Blood samples of at least five patients were sent Friday to the Veer Surendra Sai (VSS) Medical college and Hospital at Burla in Sambalpur district, Kindo said.
Dukatola village and its nearby hamlets have a population of about 500 and most of them belong to Oraon tribe. Kindo said the villagers told them they had consumed the meat of dead animals recently.
Anthrax is a bacterial disease that mostly affects animals and spreads to humans through consumption of contaminated meat. Kindo said the district has a history of anthrax infections.
- Swine flu kills one more in Orissa, toll 9 - Aug 16, 2010
- Woman kills alcoholic husband in Odisha - Jul 23, 2012
- Anthrax infects Orissa villagers, 18 ill - Jun 09, 2010
- 86 test positive for dengue in Orissa - Aug 25, 2011
- Two die of swine flu in Orissa, toll 19 - Aug 30, 2010
- Dengue cases on the decline in Orissa - Aug 30, 2011
- No anthrax at Delhi zoo: Officials - May 02, 2012
- 38 infected with anthrax in Bangladesh - Aug 20, 2010
- Dengue toll rises to 17 in Orissa (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Cold persists in Odisha - Jan 14, 2012
- Two die of swine flu in Orissa, toll seven - Aug 11, 2010
- South Asia: Hot spot for cross-border diseases - Aug 14, 2012
- Chinese national down with swine flu in Orissa - Sep 01, 2010
- Odisha cop killed, four injured in mob attack - Aug 12, 2012
- Seven killed, 12 injured in Orissa road accident - Jan 25, 2010
Tags: anthrax outbreak, anthrax symptoms, bacterial disease, bhubaneswar, blood samples, burla, consumption, dead animals, district health, doctors, five patients, hamlets, health official, health officials, kindo, medical college, medical officer, orissa, sambalpur district, tribe