Study says that Mediterranean diet fights heart diseaseMarch 10th, 2011 - 9:43 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Venice, Mar 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A new study has highlighted the benefits offered by Mediterranean diet. It has been known for a very long time that Mediterranean diet is heart healthy.
The recent study found that the diet reduces the risk of metabolic syndrome which boosts heart diseases. The new study involved the review of about 50 previous studies on the subject involving more than half-a-million participants. The data from the study were analytically examined by researchers from Italy and Greece.
The review was published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
Among other benefits, the review found that Mediterranean diet helps to reduce blood sugar, blood pressure and reduces the risk of drop in good cholesterol in the blood. All these according to the researchers greatly help to protect the heart from defects.
An associate professor at Harokopio University of Athens in Greece, Dr. Demosthenes Panagiotakos, said that, “It is one of the first times in the literature, maybe the first, that someone looks through a meta-analysis at the cardiovascular disease risk factors and not only the hard outcome.”
The researchers admitted that further studies are needed to be carried out to fully appreciate the effects that Mediterranean diet have on the heart.
- Mediterranean diet a sound recipe for healthy living - Mar 08, 2011
- Nutrition 'may have a role in development of asthma' - Jan 24, 2011
- A handful of pistachios a day can help keep heart doc away - May 18, 2010
- Experts wary of Lancet's study on good cholesterol - Jun 14, 2012
- Wine's role ambiguous in protecting heart - Jan 31, 2012
- Low-carb diet may not be good for heart: Study - Jun 11, 2012
- Take tea to avoid heart problems, diabetes - Feb 18, 2012
- Fasting ensures good health, protects heart - Apr 04, 2011
- High heart attack risks in vegans can be cut by omega-3s and B12 - Feb 03, 2011
- Eating less salt won't prevent strokes, heart attacks - Jul 06, 2011
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Scientists find 13 new genes linked to heart diseases - Mar 07, 2011
- New study raises questions over broader use of statins - Jun 29, 2010
- Tart cherries may reduce inflammation, risk factors for heart disease - Apr 13, 2011
- Five out of six new drugs don't work - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: american college of cardiology, associate professor, blood pressure, blood sugar, cardiovascular disease risk, cardiovascular disease risk factors, cholesterol, college of cardiology, demosthenes, disease risk factors, further studies, good cholesterol, half a million, heart disease, heart diseases, journal of the american college of cardiology, mediterranean diet, meta analysis, metabolic syndrome, university of athens