Study reveals that using Wi-Fi on a laptop ‘damages sperm’November 30th, 2011 - 7:43 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Nov 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A new study says exposure to laptop Wi-Fi affects the quality of sperms of a man. Researchers from Argentina and the United States carried out the study and concluded that using laptops with the Wi-Fi switched on an close to the genital reduces the sperm quality and subsequently a person’s chances of becoming a father.
During the study, the scientists placed healthy sperms in two containers. One of the containers was placed under a laptop with the wireless technology switched on while the other container was placed away from a Wi-Fi technology but the temperature was maintained.
Upon examination of the sperms, it was realized that a quarter of the sperms placed under the Wi-Fi computer were destroyed. The scientists also found evidence of DNA damage in the damaged sperms. In contrast, the sperms which were placed away from the Wi-Fi technology were left relatively intact with very few DNA damage.
Despite the finding, the authors of the researcher assured that it is too early for men to start worrying about the study. They researchers from the Nascentis Centre for Reproductive Medicine in Cordoba, Argentina and the Eastern Virginia Medical School said the study was conducted under artificial conditions and further tests are needed to fully understand the whole picture.
The research was published in the November edition of the Fertility and Sterility journal.
- Wi-fi radiation harmful to trees: Study - Nov 24, 2010
- Chinese warned against using web in public places - Mar 01, 2012
- Google, O-Zone tie up to provide free Wi-Fi access - Jan 12, 2012
- Wi-Fi radiation killing trees - Nov 24, 2010
- Measuring Wi-Fi attacks can combat cyber crimes - Sep 13, 2011
- Shanghai buses to have Wi-Fi - Jul 10, 2012
- Men using laptop in laps 'may be risking fertility' - Nov 06, 2010
- Test to identify 'best' sperm developed - May 29, 2010
- Study: Laptop on knees affects fertility - Nov 08, 2010
- Advent Eclipse Laptop Ideal For Budget Users - Nov 28, 2010
- Free wifi in Birkirkara - May 26, 2009
- Coming soon, mobiles that even work where there's no reception - Jul 12, 2010
- Wi-Fi connectivity on Howrah Rajdhani from September - Mar 30, 2012
- AT&T launches Wi-Fi project in Times Square - May 26, 2010
- Wi-fi in homes can be hacked in five seconds - Oct 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,