Study reveals Gay Guys To Be ThinnerJune 9th, 2010 - 7:23 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
A recent study has revealed that gay guys tend to be thinner than the straight men whereas lesbian women tend to be heavier than the heterosexuals. According to a report issued in the American Journal of public health, Boston researchers concluded that gay men are 50% less likely to be obese than the straight men while lesbian women are twice as likely to get fat.
After inspecting the health survey of more than 67,000 Massachusetts residents aged 18 to 64, the scientists found that 14% of gay men were obese as compared to 21% of straight,, which is exactly the opposite in case of lesbian women where 26% were obese as opposed to 17% of the straight women.
The researchers also found that the gay men and women are more like to be smokers and the women are more prone to develop heart diseases.
Kerith Conron, who is an associate research scientist at the Northeastern University and a research fellow at the Harvard School of Public health was the head author of the study. She said that the previous studies were mostly focused on mental health and sexually transmitted diseases of the gay community, rather than the chronic diseases of heart and obesity. She also added that the public health communities need to come up with more customized messages.
She thinks that cultural variations might clarify the weight divide, but it seems more apparent in the lesbian communities for the women to be full-sized.
- New Study Shows Gay Guys Are Thinner, Gay Women Heavier Than Straight - Jun 09, 2010
- Study: Gay guys are thinner - Jun 09, 2010
- Strong link found between victimization experiences, substance abuse - Feb 25, 2011
- Aging LGB adults more likely to suffer chronic disease, mental distress - Mar 30, 2011
- Do lesbians earn more than straight women? - Jan 04, 2011
- Thin may get heavy if they socialise with obese - May 01, 2011
- If healthy don't fret over being overweight - Aug 17, 2011
- Women urged to love their heart also - May 01, 2011
- Fertile women can tell straight from gay - Jun 23, 2011
- British women are more obese - Nov 26, 2011
- Narcissistic hetero men hostile towards hetero women, not lesbians - Jul 29, 2010
- Same-sex parents 'are more egalitarian than heterosexual parents' - Dec 29, 2010
- Overweight mothers could be putting babies at risk - Aug 15, 2012
- Depression linked to heart disease risk - Nov 13, 2011
- Women exposed to PFCs have obese babies - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: american journal of public health, associate research scientist, boston researchers, chronic diseases, gay guys, harvard school of public health, head author, health survey, heart diseases, heterosexuals, journal of public health, lesbian communities, lesbian women, massachusetts residents, northeastern university, public health communities, research fellow, school of public health, straight men, straight women