Study: Prozac is a multi-use drug; helps in stroke recovery tooJanuary 11th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Paris, Jan 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A new study claims that the drug, Prozac which is widely used as antidepressants can also potentially aid in the recovery of patients with mild to severe stroke.
The good news is that, if the study is proven, doctors can prescribe the drug “off-label”. This means that even though the FDA did not approve the drug for stroke treatment, doctors can still legally prescribe it because of its dual duty nature.
The only restriction is that the manufacturers of these dual role drugs cannot advertise the drugs based on the additional benefits that the drug was not registered for.
The study was carried out by French researchers and the findings of the study were published in the journal, Lancet.
The study researchers examined 118 stroke patients. The patients were all treated at about 9 different hospitals and some of them were given tablets containing the active ingredient found in Prozac, fluoxetine and another tablet that contains only placebo. The treated lasted three months and commenced just ten days after the commencement of the stroke.
After the period, it was realized that those that were given the tablet containing the fluoxetine showed 40 percent improved motor function.
- Prozac 'helps stroke patients recover from paralysis' - Jan 10, 2011
- Prozac restores movement after paralysing stroke attack - Jan 10, 2011
- Recovery Of Patients From A Stroke Could Be Assisted By Multiuse Drugs Such As Prozac - Jan 11, 2011
- Anti-depressants ease osteoarthritis pain - Mar 23, 2012
- Prozac Shows Promise In Treating Stroke Patients, New Study Says - Jan 11, 2011
- British prawns contain anti-depressant drugs - Jul 07, 2010
- Antidepressants could help with stroke recovery - Apr 08, 2011
- New device removes clots from brain - Aug 27, 2012
- Antidepressant use linked to thicker arteries - Apr 03, 2011
- BP drug could harm stroke patients - Feb 13, 2011
- Antidepressant found to be just as effective as placebo in child pain relief - Oct 01, 2009
- Genetically defective mice to help understand human depression - Jun 30, 2010
- Placebos or sham treatment still effective - Mar 15, 2011
- Dummy pills work even when they are known to be fake - Dec 23, 2010
- Placebos work - even if patients know they are fake - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: active ingredient, antidepressants, commencement, doctors, drug prozac, dual duty, dual role, fda, fluoxetine, french researchers, hospitals, journal lancet, placebo, prozac, restriction, stroke patients, stroke recovery, stroke treatment, study researchers, three months