Study: Early puberty being linked to breast cancerAugust 10th, 2010 - 9:09 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A new study shows that girls in the United States are reaching puberty earlier than they should. And it is a worry to the scientists because they say it can be linked to deadly diseases like breast cancer.
Scientists say they did a similar study thirteen years ago and the number of girls reaching puberty earlier has increased dramatically. Scientists believe that childhood obesity is linked with early puberty and scientists warn that the condition could be very dangerous.
Scientists say though they believe that certain hormones are involved with this new abnormality, they also say that the risk of breast cancer increases in girls who attain early puberty. Scientists say the longer a woman menstruates in her lifetime, the higher the risk of developing breast cancer.
According to the scientists, they studied the girls who were between the ages of 7 and 8. The researchers said they found that 10 percent of Caucasian girls showed signs of development at that age and 23 percent of African Americans also showed those signs at early age.
The latest numbers are astronomical considering the fact that in 1997, the same research showed that only 5 percent of Caucasian girls showed early signs of puberty while only 15 percent of African American girls also showed the same signs of development.
But early body development does not mean mental and social maturity.
- Study indicates that young girls are entering puberty earlier - Aug 09, 2010
- Girls as young as seven hitting puberty in US - Aug 10, 2010
- Girls Attaining Early Puberty Are More Prone To Breast Cancer, Study Reveals - Aug 10, 2010
- Study reveals that girls are hitting puberty early in US - Apr 12, 2011
- Women born to older mothers may develop breast cancer - Feb 07, 2012
- Study Indicates Early Puberty For American Girls, Which Could Lead To Breast Cancer - Aug 10, 2010
- Puberty for girls begins at 9 now - Jun 13, 2010
- Early alcohol, tobacco use might delay onset of puberty in girls - Sep 15, 2010
- Girls' first period linked to genes, not diet: Study - Apr 13, 2011
- Genes linking puberty to body fat in women discovered - Nov 22, 2010
- Fatty diet during pregnancy may cause cancer in offspring - Sep 12, 2012
- Pregnancy-related cancers up by 70 percent - Sep 11, 2012
- Racial disparities in head, neck cancer more to do with society than biology - Sep 27, 2010
- African ancestry linked to high-risk breast cancer - Jul 23, 2010
- Absence of father at home linked to early puberty in girls - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: abnormality, african american girls, african americans, breast cancer, breast cancer increases, cancer scientists, caucasian girls, childhood obesity, deadly diseases, hormones, lifetime, risk, signs of puberty, social maturity, thirteen years, worry