Study: Circumcision lowers HPV risk for womenJanuary 10th, 2011 - 8:56 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Jan 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Circumcision has been found to be a very important tool in preventing HIV infection from women to men. How the reverse is true has however not been found but researchers have managed to find out something else.
Scientists say a new study has revealed that circumcision significantly reduces the transmission of the human papillomavirus or HPV in both women and men. It was found after the test that circumcision reduces the risk of HPV transmission by as much as 28 percent.
The researchers though were quick to add that circumcision does not completely prevent the transmission of HPV so people should be careful about that.
The researchers selected participants who were all heterosexuals and HIV free. However, none of the men has had circumcision. The researchers randomly selected some of the participants and circumcised them while the others were left uncircumcised.
After some time, their HPV transmission was examined and it was realized that those that were not circumcised had 28 percent higher rate of HPV infection when they were compared with those that were circumcised. Those that were not circumcised were later also circumcised.
The study was published in the journal, Lancet on the 6th day of January.
- Circumcision Lowers HPV Risk In Women, Says Survey - Jan 08, 2011
- Circumcision Lowers Chances Of HPV Risk In Women, Study Says - Jan 09, 2011
- Male circumcision 'cuts risk of common STDs, but not syphilis' - Mar 26, 2009
- Circumcision would do little to prevent HIV in gay men: Study - Jul 23, 2010
- HPV vaccine also works for boys: Study - Feb 05, 2011
- More Chinese wives get HIV from husbands - Jun 02, 2012
- Circumcision significantly cuts HIV infection risk in heterosexual men - Dec 18, 2008
- Adult circumcision cuts HIV transmission risk without reducing sexual pleasure - Apr 27, 2009
- Why circumcised men are less likely to get infected with HIV - Jan 06, 2010
- Shot for preventing genital warts works in men - Feb 06, 2011
- Widely used HIV drug could help prevent cervical cancer - May 04, 2011
- Mums play key role in convincing daughters to receive HPV vaccine - Jan 04, 2011
- Male circumcision cuts HIV risk - Apr 15, 2009
- First ever pill to beat HIV under FDA consideration - May 10, 2012
- Antiretroviral therapy tied to decreased HIV transmission risk - May 27, 2010