Strawberries prevent heart disease, diabetesJuly 6th, 2012 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 6 (IANS) Strawberries, the traditional summer treat, could offer unexpected health benefits of preventing development of heart disease and diabetes, says a study.
University of Warwick scientists have been studying the beneficial effects of strawberries on cardiovascular health, particularly around how they prevent the development of heart disease and diabetes.
Paul Thornalley, professor at the Warwick Medical School, heads the team that discovered extracts from strawberries positively activate a protein in our bodies called ‘Nrf2′, which is shown to increase antioxidant and other protective activities.
This protein works to decrease blood lipids and cholesterol, the very things which can lead to cardiovascular problems, said a university statement.
Eating strawberries has previously been found to counter post-meal blood glucose and low density lipoprotein, or ‘bad’ cholesterol and therefore decrease risk of diabetes and heart disease, but this is the first time that strawberry extracts have been proved to actively stimulate proteins that offer us protection against disease.
Thornalley explained: ” We’ve discovered the science behind how strawberries work to increase our in-built defences to keep cells, organs and blood vessels healthy and which can reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular problems such as heart disease and diabetes.”
Screening and math modelling techniques developed at Warwick can now take this research further to help identify the best varieties of strawberries, how they are served or processed and how many strawberries should be eaten for optimum health benefit.
Thornalley will be presenting these findings at the 16th biennial meeting for the Society for Free Radical Research International (SFRRI), Imperial College London.
- 'Good' cholesterol drug may help diabetics - Jul 19, 2011
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Some 'good' cholesterol unable to protect heart - May 09, 2012
- Antioxidant protein promotes clogging of arteries, says study - Jan 11, 2011
- Fasting ensures good health, protects heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Be nutty for good health - Apr 13, 2012
- Two therapies that may slow diabetic eye disease progression found - Jul 24, 2010
- Overweight adolescents may develop weak bones - Mar 06, 2011
- How chocolates protect against heart disease - Feb 08, 2011
- Lowering cholesterol transfer protein activity linked to heart disease risk - Dec 16, 2009
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- Dark chocolate reduces risk of cardiac fatalities - Jun 04, 2012
- Almonds 'could help prevent diabetes, heart disease' - Dec 30, 2010
- Healthy lifestyle lowers mid-age cardiac risk - Mar 04, 2012
- Experts wary of Lancet's study on good cholesterol - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: bad cholesterol, beneficial effects, blood glucose, blood lipids, cardiovascular health, cardiovascular problems, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes screening, disease diabetes, free radical research, health benefit, health benefits, heart disease, heart disease and diabetes, imperial college london, lipids, low density lipoprotein, optimum health, strawberries, university of warwick