Stink from office refrigerator leaves 28 illMay 14th, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, May 14 (DPA) Someone’s forgotten lunch did more than just cause an unsightly, smelly mess in one office refrigerator.
The smell of rotten food during a clean-out in an office kitchen in California was so strong it caused the evacuation of a building, sickened 28 people and prompted a call to the local hazardous material unit, the San Jose Mercury News reported Wednesday.
An office worker cleaning out the refrigerator at an AT&T office Tuesday couldn’t smell the food because she had had nasal surgery for allergies, Fire Department Captain Barry Stallard told the newspaper.
The stink got even worse when combined with the cleaning chemical she was using and another cleaner sprayed by a co-worker to get rid of the smell.
Workers first thought there was some kind of mysterious toxic leak making people sick, but the woman cleaning the fridge cleared the air when the fire department arrived.
The 28 ill workers were checked by paramedics and seven were treated at area hospitals.
- Taiwanese men told to squat when using public loos - Aug 28, 2012
- World's smelliest holiday spots are in Mexico, Italy, France - Mar 08, 2011
- After UFOs, Oz locals losing sleep over USO, Unidentified Smelly Object! - Dec 23, 2009
- Fridge most important innovation in food history - Sep 14, 2012
- Today is 'Clean out your refrigerator day' - Nov 15, 2011
- Stinking of rotten fish, woman took 10 showers a day - Apr 17, 2012
- Man arrested at Celina Dion's home - Sep 07, 2011
- Futuristic fridge will automatically order fresh food - Dec 26, 2010
- Bacteria to fight stench at Germany's Oktoberfest - Sep 11, 2010
- Myths related to spring allergies busted - Feb 27, 2011
- 'Smelly food' can keep you off unwanted pounds - Mar 25, 2012
- US nuclear submarine fire probably caused by a vacuum cleaner - Jun 07, 2012
- DNA reveals nurse who moved to Vancouver was mom of dead infants found in Los Angeles - Nov 17, 2010
- Now, 'personal air-conditioning units' for F1 drivers, armies and firefighters - Apr 01, 2011
- Grave robber steals Fender Telecaster guitar from a casket - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: allergies, captain barry, co worker, dpa, fire department, fridge, hazardous material, ill workers, jose mercury news, nasal surgery, office kitchen, office refrigerator, office worker, paramedics, rotten food, san jose mercury, san jose mercury news, smelly mess, stallard, stink