States told to curb chemical ripening of fruitsJune 24th, 2010 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Expressing concern over the spurt in cases of artificial ripening of fruits using chemicals, the health ministry Thursday asked the states to take action against those indulging in the hazardous practice.
Official sources in the ministry said that a circular has been sent to state food and health authorities and the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India by Minister of State for Health Dinesh Trivedi.
Chemicals such as calcium carbide are used for ripening fruits like mangos, apples, papayas and guavas. This is prohibited under the prevention of food adulteration rules.
“State authorities have been asked to take legal action against retailers, wholesalers or producers found involved in the use of chemicals to ripen fruit,” an official said.
The circular also invited attention of the enforcement authorities in the states to the provisions that of presence of calcium carbide in godowns and wooden crates may be used as circumstantial evidence in courts to prove that artificial ripening has been used by the vendor.
Details of the procedure for detection of artificial ripening of fruits have also been distributed to state authorities.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Oxytocin illegal, other ripening agents allowed: Azad - Aug 20, 2010
- Beware: Fresh look of vegetables could be due to hazardous chemicals - Jul 26, 2012
- Effect of chemicals in vegetables to be studied: Trivedi - Aug 05, 2010
- Congress MP demands stricter punishment for adulterators - Aug 03, 2010
- Court query on sale of unhygienic fruits in Delhi - Aug 18, 2010
- Illegal chemical ripening method imperils India's mango trade - Jun 02, 2008
- Mayawati orders tough steps against food and drug adulterators - Aug 05, 2010
- Chandigarh's mango growers in a pickle - Jan 22, 2012
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- No harmful adulterants in Delhi milk, court told - Jan 25, 2012
- Mango Festival begins in Delhi - Jul 02, 2011
- Some fruity, flavoured summer drinks (To go with summer drinks story) - May 23, 2011
- Ecuador toxic alcohol toll climbs to 50 - Sep 03, 2011
- Lucknow scientists to rejuvenate mango orchard in Rishikesh - Dec 28, 2009
- China to monitor radiation in water around n-plants - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: apples, asian news, calcium carbide, chemicals, circumstantial evidence, dg, enforcement authorities, food safety, health authorities, health ministry, indo, june 24, minister of state, New Delhi, prevention of food adulteration, spurt, state authorities, state food, wholesalers, wooden crates