Star Trek skin gun heals burn woundsFebruary 4th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington DC, Feb 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Burn victims around the world have been handed hope after doctors invented a gun that can spray stem cells onto their burnt skin.
The invention is most important because burnt patients were often left prone to infection and even death as they get to wait for stem cell regenerations. It often took such a long time for the stem cells to be regenerated.
With the new system however, the stem cells are developed within 90 minutes and healing takes just a matter of days. The gun works by spraying stem cells onto the affected parts of the skin.
The new mechanism was created by Dr. Jörg Gerlach, of the University of Pittsburgh’s McGowan Institute. Several doctors are excited about the invention.
Dr. Steven Wolf, of the U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research was particularly happy because with the current system, it takes “weeks and months and people can die while waiting for the skin to heal”. That would be changed because the new gun promises to get doctors “as much normal healthy skin as we want within a week - well that is the holy grail of burn surgery.”
So far about 12 burn patients have been treated with the gun.
- Heal burns fast - with stem cell spray gun - Feb 03, 2011
- Stem cells from skin, blood regenerate faltering liver - May 12, 2011
- Glowing 'firefly' stem cells could help repair damaged hearts - Sep 29, 2010
- Mumbai doctors launch awareness campaign on skin donation - Jan 02, 2010
- Synthetic protein to help regenerate new tissues - Sep 11, 2011
- 'Smart' adult stem cells repair heart in 'landmark work' - Aug 17, 2010
- Deadly bug-killer could replace antibiotics in therapy - Jul 24, 2012
- Stem cells help save woman's leg - Oct 01, 2010
- Adult stem cells offer new treatment for fractures that fail to heal - Oct 05, 2009
- British woman sues deo firm after suffering burns - Aug 05, 2012
- Bone marrow cells that convert into skin cells could revolutionise wound treatment - Apr 05, 2011
- Stem cells promising in post-injury arthritis - Aug 13, 2012
- Human skin grown from stem cells can help burns victims - Nov 20, 2009
- New way to discover drugs that aid regenerative medicine - Jul 12, 2010
- Soon, spray-on skin that heals burns in days - Nov 23, 2009
Tags: burn victims, current system, doctors, dr steven, gerlach, healthy skin, holy grail, invention, long time, new gun, star trek, stem cell, stem cells, steven wolf, u s army, university of pittsburgh, washington dc, wolf, wounds