Spurious liquor kills eight in Andhra village (Lead)December 31st, 2011 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 31 (IANS) What could have been New Year’s Eve celebrations turned into mourning and tragedy in a village in Andhra Pradesh’s Krishna district Saturday as eight people died and at least 10 others were battling for their lives after consuming spurious liquor, police said.
According to police, among the eight dead were two women, and the condition of 10 others is critical.
All belonged to Poratanagar village of Mylavaram mandal (block) in Krishna district, about 400 km from Hyderabad.
Those taken ill after consuming the liquor were admitted to hospitals at Mylavarm and Vijayawada.
Excise Minister Mopidevi Venkataramana ordered a judicial probe into the incident. He also ordered suspension of two excise officials of Mylavaram.
Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy said action would be taken against the guilty. He directed the officials to provide all necessary assistance to the families of the victims.
Opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader D. Umamaheswara Rao and relatives of the victims carried the bodies to the excise department office at Mylavaram. They were demanding compensation and action against those responsible for the tragedy.
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy mounts to 15 (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 13 - Jan 01, 2012
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Spurious liquor kills six in Andhra - Dec 31, 2011
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 18 - Jan 02, 2012
- Four die in Andhra after consuming moonshine - May 11, 2012
- Notices to three Andhra legislators in liquor pay-off scam - Jun 09, 2012
- TDP demands sacking of Andhra ministers - Dec 20, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 156 - Dec 16, 2011
- Andhra high court admits petition for liquor mafia probe - Feb 27, 2012
- Hooch kills 12 in Punjab, two held (Third Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Andhra excise ministers rules out resignation (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Venkataramana's arrest sends Andhra ministers into tizzy - May 24, 2012
- CBI summons another Andhra minister in Jagan case - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, chief minister, eve celebrations, excise department, hospitals, judicial probe, kiran kumar, krishna district, mourning, necessary assistance, new year, opposition, rao, relatives, s krishna, spurious liquor, tragedy, two women