Snoring could spell serious trouble for usApril 1st, 2012 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
London, April 1 (IANS) Snorers are three times more likely to suffer a potentially fatal blood clot, a new study has found.
Patients diagnosed with the snoring-related condition — sleep apnoea — were three times as likely to develop a deep vein thrombosis, a blood clot that forms within a vein, as non-snorers, the Daily Express reported.
The condition is usually linked to immobility, such as in patients lying in hospital beds for long periods after surgery or in long-haul airline passengers.
The latest investigation, carried out by a team of researchers in Taiwan is one of the first to show a link with DVTs, even though previous studies have suggested sleep apnoea may raise the risk of heart attacks.
A DVT is a blood clot in a vein, usually in the leg, which can break off and cause a life-threatening blockage in the lung, known as a pulmonary embolism.
An estimated three million people in Britain suffer with sleep apnoea.
The results of the research have been published in the American Journal of Medicine.
- Heavy snoring doubles arthritis risk - Jun 28, 2012
- Sedentary officegoers face doubled clot-risk - May 15, 2012
- Obese women face higher risk of vein clots - Apr 20, 2012
- Sitting too long at work can be fatal - Nov 07, 2010
- Dangerous, deep blood clots should be treated aggressively: Docs - Mar 22, 2011
- Ground-breaking inflight health monitor on the anvil - Apr 23, 2010
- New drugs show promise in treating dangerous blood clots - Jan 12, 2011
- Statins cut risk of clot-related diseases - May 17, 2010
- Sitting for long periods can cause heart problem - Jul 05, 2011
- Statins reduce risk of clot-related diseases - May 17, 2010
- Thigh-high surgical stockings 'best in fight against DVT' - Sep 21, 2010
- Heavy snorers '50pc more likely to develop diabetes' - Dec 05, 2009
- Sleep disorder doubles cancer risk - Sep 05, 2012
- New contraceptive pills 'likelier to double blood clot risk' - Apr 22, 2011
- DVT risk is equal - whether you fly, take the train or drive down: Experts - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,