Snake cooked with students’ lunch, 70 fall sickJune 9th, 2009 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 9 (IANS) Around 70 students in Dhanbad district of Jharkhand fell ill Tuesday and were hospitalised after eating the mid-day meal that had a dead snake in it, police said.
According to police, many students of the primary school in Piyadih village of Govindpur block of Dhanbad district started vomiting and complained of stomach pain after eating the mid-day meal.
“The children said that a snake was cooked with the meal. The snake was found after food was served to students. The students started vomiting and complained of stomach pains after eating and were brought to Dhanbad on tractors and other modes of transportation. We have started investigations,” a district police official told IANS over telephone.
Around 70 students have been admitted in Patliputra Medical College Hospital (PMCH) in Dhanbad and the condition of ten students is said to be critical.
The school has around 350 students and a majority of those who fell ill are aged between five and 12 years. The principal of the school is absconding after incident.
Police have sent a team to school to take a sample of the food.
Dhanbad is around 290 km from Ranchi.
- 60 children fall ill after mid-day meal - Sep 14, 2011
- 48 students fall ill after having mid-day meal - Jul 14, 2011
- Lizard in food, seven students critical - Jul 09, 2009
- 53 students taken ill after mid-day meal - Jul 16, 2011
- Over 100 students fall ill after medication at health camp - Dec 14, 2010
- Over 100 students fall ill after mid-day meal in Delhi - Nov 25, 2009
- Four fall sick after consuming wild mushrooms in Assam - Apr 27, 2012
- 70 schoolkids fall ill after being given iron tablets - Dec 03, 2010
- Girl falls into cauldron, dies (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Two children die after eating mid-day meal in Bihar - Mar 11, 2010
- Over 100 students taken ill of food-poisoning - Sep 27, 2010
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- 11 government school students hospitalised in Goa - Jun 15, 2011
- 40 students fall ill after eating food - Mar 07, 2009
- 83 children fall ill after eating mid-day meals - Feb 14, 2010