Six-year-old is India’s latest swine flu caseJune 12th, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 12 (IANS) India Friday reported one more swine flu patient, taking the number of cases to 16, with a six-year-old girl who had arrived here from the US testing positive for the H1N1 virus.
The samples of the girl, who arrived here along with her parents and six-month-old brother from New York on June 9, had tested positive for influenza A(H1N1), commonly known as swine flu, doctors said.
She has been quarantined and is being treated at the Andhra Pradesh Chest Hospital, the nodal centre for dealing with flu cases.
Though her parents have tested negative, the hospital is awaiting test results of the six-month-old child.
With the latest confirmed case, the number of influenza A patients undergoing treatment at the hospital rose to five.
Three patients have been treated and discharged from the hospital since May 16, when the first case was reported.
A four-month-old child who arrived from New Jersey Thursday has been kept under observation at the hospital after he was found with visible symptoms of swine flu. His samples have been sent to the National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD), Delhi.
A four-and-half year old girl and her mother, who arrived from Philadelphia on May 31, tested positive for the virus on June 6. They contracted the virus from a techie, who travelled with them on the same flight via London.
The techie’s brother was also tested positive, making him the first Indian to be infected by swine flu without travelling abroad.
Swine flu was Thursday declared a pandemic by WHO with 74 countries reporting 28,774 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection, including 144 deaths
- Five more swine flu cases in Lucknow - Aug 23, 2012
- Swine flu patients swell to 56 in Lucknow - Sep 03, 2012
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Three more swine flu deaths in Orissa, toll 22 - Sep 04, 2010
- Woman dies of swine flu in Delhi, toll rises to 15 - Aug 13, 2010
- First swine flu death in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- 30 more cases of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 12, 2010
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 25, 2010
- Hyderabad boy down with swine flu, total cases now 31 - Jun 16, 2009
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Another suspected swine flu case in Hyderabad - Jun 17, 2009
- 8-year-old tests positive for swine flu in Hyderabad - Jun 18, 2009
- India confirms three fresh swine flu cases, total eight (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Google shuts down Hyderabad office on swine flu scare (Lead) - Jul 14, 2009
- 8 new swine flu cases in Hyderabad, India's tally crosses 200 - Jul 13, 2009
Tags: andhra pradesh, communicable diseases, confirmed case, deaths, doctors, flu, flu cases, h1n1, influenza, jersey thursday, nicd delhi, observation, old girl, pandemic, swine flu, techie, test results, undergoing treatment, virus, visible symptoms