Silicone Implants May Cause Rare Form Of Breast CancerJanuary 27th, 2011 - 8:34 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Jan 27, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The American Food and Drug Administration declared on Wednesday that breast implants might be the cause of a very rare form of breast cancer. The discovery considerably increases the seriousness of breast cancer, which is generally considered the safest form of the deadly disease. The Food and Drug Administration reported that this kind of cancer, although rare, is manifold more serious than the other forms of breast cancer. The reports are likely to cause quite an amount of consternation in the glamor industry and beyond, considering that more and more women are opting for the implants. The risk increases considerably taking into account the fact that most woman prefer silicone and saline implants, which, the researchers say, are the likeliest causes of the cancer.
The FDA has based its reports on the findings from 34 cases of breast cancer, all of which developed after the women underwent breast implants. The scientists found that this cancer, which they have named anaplastic large cell lymphoma, occurs in the scar tissue around he area of the implant. Apparently, the cancer attacks before the tissue has completely healed. However, the scientists are yet not completely certain that it is indeed the implants that cause the cancer. A huge number of women around the world undergoes breast implant operations, and 34 cases out of them is too few to conclusively determine it to be the cause.
In order to be sure, the scientists are continuing their research, and the FDA has joined hands with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to create a list of women who choose to have breast implants. This is likely to help determine the cause of the cancer. Meanwhile, women with implants are being asked to consult the doctor as soon as they feel any anomaly.
- Breast implants linked to a rare form of blood cancer - Jan 27, 2011
- Link between breast implants and rare form of cancer confirmed - Apr 20, 2011
- FDA explores link between breast implants & cancer - Jan 27, 2011
- Study: Breast implants linked to rare cancer - Feb 01, 2011
- Cancer cases found in women with French brand implants - Dec 31, 2011
- 'Smart' lung cancer drug shows promise - Oct 28, 2010
- Do women with silicone breast implants require follow-Up MRI scans? - Mar 29, 2011
- No breast implant ruptures reported in China - Jan 07, 2012
- Silicone implants 'more satisfactory' than saline implants: Study - Nov 08, 2010
- Women with breast implants alerted to cancer risk - Dec 03, 2011
- Cola food colouring could cause cancer - Feb 17, 2011
- Drug counters bone-damaging effects of breast cancer medication - Oct 10, 2011
- Key culprit in breast cancer metastasis identified - Feb 17, 2011
- Virgin Trent Arsenault fathers 15 kids - Feb 09, 2012
- New discovery may help fight breast cancer - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,