Showcase clean Delhi during Games 2010, Walia tells MCDJanuary 5th, 2010 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 5 (IANS) To present a clean and garbageless Delhi during the Commonwealth Games (CWG) to be held in October, the state government Tuesday asked the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to prepare a “target based short-term action plan to collect, transport and treat solid waste” of the city.
In a meeting with MCD leaders and officials Tuesday, Delhi’s Finance Minister A.K. Walia directed the civic authority to bring more area of national capital under the door-to-door garbage collection scheme.
“Much more is required to be done to strengthen the work of transportation and collection of solid waste management from Delhi,” Walia said in an official statement here.
He told the civic authority that garbage should not be visible on the roads and around colonies, as a large number of tourists and visitors, including foreigners, would be in the city during the Games.
“Delhi Mayor Kanwar Sain, who was also at the meeting, informed that they are starting their fleet of mechanical sweepers and intend to undertake sweeping twice a day in Delhi,” the statement said.
Delhi generates around 8,000 tonnes of garbage every day and as the present landfill sites at Okhla, Bhalaswa and Ghazipur are filled to capacity, the problem of waste disposal is turning complex.
- Delhi's new mayor wants to shift garbage dumps underground - Apr 30, 2009
- Delhi to be sparkling clean -- before Diwali - Oct 25, 2010
- World Bank to study Delhi's waste-to-energy plant - Jun 03, 2011
- MCD earns Rs.10 lakh from Okhla plant - Jul 08, 2011
- Gandhi Jayanti fair to showcase Games projects - Sep 29, 2009
- Waste management project in major Punjab cities from October - Jun 03, 2011
- Power-from-waste project launched in Delhi - Jun 26, 2010
- Delhi meat traders agree to shift to Ghazipur abbatoir - Nov 10, 2009
- Agra outsources door-to-door garbage collection to private firm (Lead) - Dec 28, 2010
- Delhi government for quick progress in Games related projects - Oct 22, 2009
- Garbage-free Bangalore by Monday, promise authorities - Sep 02, 2012
- Jairam visits energy plant in Delhi after protests - Mar 31, 2011
- Delhi mayor starts clean city drive during festivals - Sep 24, 2009
- Day after: Ramlila Maidan deserted, clean up on - Aug 29, 2011
- MCD fines Commonwealth Games officials for letting mosquitoes breed - Nov 10, 2009
Tags: colonies, commonwealth games, finance minister, fleet, foreigners, garbage collection, ghazipur, kanwar, landfill sites, mechanical sweepers, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, solid waste management, state government, target, tonnes, tourists, walia, waste disposal