Shortage of health staff in rural areas: Sonia GandhiDecember 21st, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) While medical services in the country have improved, there is still an acute shortage of health professionals in rural areas, Congress president Sonia GAndhi said here Wednesday.
Speaking at the 39th convocation of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Gandhi said that while progress was evident, a lot more needs to be done.
“Life expectancy in India has more than doubled… key indicators such as infant and maternal mortality rates have shown a steady decline and diseases like polio and malaria have been contained.
“Lot more needs to be done to check the acute shortage of health professionals, especially in rural areas,” Gandhi said at a packed auditorium in the AIIMS campus.
According to AIIMS, 465 degrees were awarded at the convocation. Till date, the institute has trained 4,878 specialists, 1,198 super specialists, 2,554 doctors, 871 PhDs and a large number of post graduates in allied health sciences. The institute has also trained 2,388 nurses and paramedical professionals.
Health Minister and president of the institute Ghulam Nabi Azad said: “It is a matter of personal satisfaction that many infrastructure expansion projects of AIIMS that were held up for several years are now under rapid implementation.”
- Acute shortage of health staff in rural areas: Sonia (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- President urges doctors to serve in rural India - Nov 16, 2009
- Rural India is short of 16,000 doctors - Mar 09, 2011
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Government mulls course on rural healthcare - Apr 24, 2012
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM(Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Human Resources Health Bill to be introduced in Parliament soon - Oct 01, 2010
- Medical students in Shillong back to classes after stir - Jul 05, 2011
- Five mental clinics to come up in Jammu region - Jul 02, 2012
- Six AIIMS-like institutions by end-2013: Azad - Feb 02, 2012
- Work on Rae Bareli AIIMS to begin soon: Azad - Aug 09, 2012
- Need to strengthen mental health services in country: Azad - Jan 20, 2012
- Be well prepared to provide quality health: Azad tells medical fraternity - Apr 21, 2011
- Efforts on to increase number of health professionals: PM - Oct 01, 2010
Tags: acute shortage, aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, allied health sciences, congress president sonia gandhi, convocation, ghulam nabi azad, health minister, health professionals, health staff, india institute, life expectancy, maternal mortality rates, paramedical professionals, personal satisfaction, phds, post graduates, rapid implementation, rural areas, steady decline