She underwent breast cancer surgery at 99!August 31st, 2011 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 31 (IANS) A great-great-grandmother in Britain is today the oldest person in the country to have undergone surgery for breast cancer, just ahead of celebrating her 100th birthday.
Dorothy Affleck was diagnosed with the disease last summer and soon underwent an operation to remove the tumour at Tameside Hospital.
Affleck, a retired hairdresser and former dancer from Hyde, Greater Manchester, has recovered well and was able to celebrate her centenary in March, the Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
Because of her age, she had to have the two-hour operation last August under local anaesthetic instead of the more commonly used general anaesthetic.
Affleck was born to a French father. Her mother was a member of the Tiller Girls - one of the most popular dance troupes of the last century.
She retired from hairdressing at the age of 75. To mark her 100th birthday, she had a party with family, friends and neighbours.
Her surgeon, Pardeep Arora, was confident she would be strong enough to survive surgery so gave the procedure the green light.
Affleck said: “When I was told ‘you’ve got cancer’, I couldn’t believe it. I was horrified. But Mr Arora was absolutely marvellous.”
“I think it is unique because I came through it at that age. I was 99-and-a-half and people didn’t think they should operate at that age.”
Arora, a highly experienced Indian-origin surgeon, said he was pleased with Affleck’s recovery and described her as “inspiring”.
- Infants given anaesthesia face learning problems - Aug 29, 2012
- US great-great-grandmother named world's oldest living person at 114 - Mar 11, 2011
- Brit great-grandma beats cancer 5 times to celebrate 100th birthday - Jan 21, 2011
- Number of teens going for plastic surgery in Singapore on the - Jan 30, 2011
- Baby's life saved with liver transplant - Mar 10, 2012
- Rachel Wood underwent surgery to fix tooth problem - Mar 20, 2012
- Lady GaGa thrilled to perform with Judy Garland's 'Wizard of Oz' slippers - Apr 01, 2011
- UK breast surgeon faces probe after 'cleavage-saving' op leaves cancer behind - Feb 18, 2011
- Baby's cancer removed while in mother's womb - Jun 23, 2012
- Sonam asks fans for special birthday gift - Jun 07, 2012
- Elderly show way to recovery after surgeries - Jul 17, 2011
- At 82, she underwent her 11th surgery - Jul 13, 2011
- Chhattisgarh couple create new record for arthritic surgery - May 23, 2012
- Now eating before operation can help you recover! - Sep 28, 2010
- Beijing hospital sued after patient dies - May 29, 2012
Tags: 100th birthday, affleck, birthday dorothy, breast cancer, breast cancer surgery, daily mail, dance troupes, family friends, french father, friends and neighbours, general anaesthetic, great grandmother, greater manchester, hairdresser, hairdressing, indian origin, local anaesthetic, oldest person, tiller girls, tumour