Security Council urged to join fight against swine fluApril 29th, 2009 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
New York, April 29 (DPA) UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon Wednesday urged the UN Security Council to join the international community in efforts to deal with the swine flu, which has spread to four continents.
Ban said the UN has taken the lead and gathered resources to fight the flu, working with the World Health Organisation (WHO) and governments. At UN headquarters, Ban’s deputy secretary-general Asha-Rose Migiro is chairing a core group of UN officials to coordinate activities with WHO in Geneva.
“I sincerely hope that with global participation and support, we will be able to overcome, suppress and combat swine flu,” Ban told the 15-nation council as it held an open session to discuss children and armed conflict, a thematic debate held regularly to raise awareness on child issues.
“In addition to the global financial crisis, climate change, the energy crisis, the food crisis - now on top of this we are experiencing this very serious pandemic,” he said.
The council, however, has rarely involved itself in health crises. Its main responsibility is global peace and security.
- UN chief condemns Nigeria blast - Aug 26, 2011
- Indian to lead UN change management team - Jun 01, 2011
- UN committed to end suffering in Horn of Africa - Aug 26, 2011
- UN to mark day commemorating peacekeepers - May 27, 2011
- Russia criticises UN chief's defence of Libya action - Dec 23, 2011
- UN General Assembly re-elects Ban Ki-moon as Secretary-General - Jun 22, 2011
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrives in India - Apr 26, 2012
- Ban Ki-moon welcomes resolution to send observers to Syria (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Syria situation remains serious: UN chief - May 26, 2012
- UNSC condemns Delhi attack; vows to combat terror - Sep 08, 2011
- Be a global citizen, Ban Ki-moon tells India's youth - Apr 27, 2012
- UN chief to undertake Asia tour - Mar 16, 2012
- Ban Ki-moon nominated to top UN post for second term - Jun 18, 2011
- UNSC discusses piracy in Gulf of Guinea - Oct 20, 2011
- UN chief vows to support Libya's reconstruction - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: asha rose migiro, ban ki moon, children and armed conflict, climate change, core group, deputy secretary general, energy crisis, food crisis, four continents, global financial crisis, global participation, global peace, health crises, nation council, open session, swine flu, thematic debate, un secretary general, un security council, world health organisation