Scientists claim that Alkaline foods are beneficialMay 27th, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by GD
One of the latest updates for the health and fitness conscious people is on the concept of alkaline food. Scientists are now saying that consuming alkaline food is beneficial for our body. This is because the consumption of alkaline foods maintains the pH level of blood in our body at the right level. The pH level is measured on a scale of 1 to 14 and pH 7 is considered to be neutral. Our body functions best when the pH level in the blood is between 7.35 to 7.45, which is slightly above the neutral mark. Maintaining the right pH level by consuming enough alkaline food also helps to counter Candida infection. Candida are uni-cellular microbes, which are essential to our body to a certain extent. It is absolutely essential to have an alkaline diet to prevent the overgrowth of Candida.
All fruits and vegetables, especially green vegetables such as broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, spinach, are alkaline. However, it must be remembered that spinach is alkaline only when consumed raw. Spinach turns acidic when it is cooked. Common fruits that fall under the category of alkaline food are mangoes, bananas and apples. Some other common alkaline food are almonds, olive oil and garlic.
Having a diet rich in alkaline food maintains the pH level of our body at the proper level and increases longevity. At least eighty percent of our diet should comprise of alkaline food. Tea and Coffee lovers must be aware that these two drinks are acidic in nature. So are soda and alcohol. Tea can however be substituted with green tea, which has antioxidant properties.
Some of the common food that leave an “acidic wash” on our body are dairy products, sweets, meats, ice-cream, eggs, white bread and saturated fats.
- High acid levels in juices damaging kid's teeth - May 20, 2012
- Celebrities' secrets to banishing cellulite revealed - Mar 29, 2011
- Turning rotten tomatoes, waste fruit into biogas - Feb 10, 2012
- Summer best time to shed weight - Apr 04, 2012
- Weight loss supplements are no good - Mar 07, 2012
- Smart plasters can tell if wound is not healing - Nov 18, 2010
- Nitrates in spinach make you big, strong - Feb 02, 2011
- 'Rising CO2 levels threaten aquatic food webs' - May 08, 2012
- In winter, eat right to good skin - Nov 30, 2010
- Why food poisoning can be so unpredictable. - Sep 06, 2010
- Eat light, healthy food to stay cool this summer: Doctors - May 17, 2012
- Bingeing on soda, sweets makes you a dim wit - May 16, 2012
- Watch your diet, you multi-tasking women! (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 06, 2012
- Human body needs fluid balance, not just water (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Drinking excess water may not benefit us - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: alkaline diet, alkaline food, alkaline foods, antioxidant properties, body functions, candida, coffee lovers, dairy products, food scientists, food tea, fruits and vegetables, green tea, green vegetables, health and fitness, microbes, ph 7, ph level, raw spinach, saturated fats, white bread