Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: PollMay 13th, 2012 - 10:18 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Over 60 percent of Russian smokers say they will not give up their habit when grim graphic images depicting the impact of smoking on health begin appearing on cigarette packs in May 2013, a poll has found.
The health and social development ministry has published on its website a list of 13 pictures that are to adorn cigarette packs. Visual images range from sick infants to blackened lungs while accompanying warnings including “Self-Destruction”, “Periodontitis” and “Erectile Dysfunction”.
“Most of the smokers - more than 60 percent - said even the most terrifying images on cigarette packs will not prevent them from lighting up. Most smokers know without any reminders that smoking is harmful but continue buying cigarettes,” the Superjob.ru research centre reported Saturday.
“If a person wants to smoke, no pictures will make him quit,” said one of those questioned.
Only 15 percent of respondents did not rule out that gruesome images may make them give up smoking.
Russia is the world leader on smoking, with more than 39 percent of the adult population — or 43.9 million people — addicted to tobacco, according to WHO’s 2007 Global Adult Tobacco Survey.
Acting Health and Social Development Minister Tatiana Golikova said smoking kills about 400,000 Russians a year.
The government is mounting an anti-smoking campaign which is to include stricter rules on smoking in public places and a drastic increase in cigarette prices through taxation.
- Like India, Russia to scare smokers with grim pictures - May 11, 2012
- WHO asks Russia to ensure scary pictures on cigarette packs - Feb 17, 2011
- Cigarette packs in Russia to carry warnings from Saturday - Jun 25, 2010
- Russia to ban smoking indoors - Apr 21, 2012
- Moscow to ban smoking in restaurants by 2014 - May 05, 2012
- Ukraine introduces ban on public smoking - May 25, 2012
- Half of Russians want Lenin buried: Poll - Jun 14, 2012
- Harsher pictorial warnings on tobacco packs from Dec 1 (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- China may raise tobacco price to curb consumption - Mar 12, 2012
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
- China to curb smoking with increased taxes - Mar 10, 2012
- Harsher cancer warning on tobacco products in the offing - May 25, 2011
- Russia to ban hookah smoking in public - Nov 10, 2011
- Britain bans public display of cigarettes - Apr 06, 2012
- No smoking: Gory pictures pull in, shock trade fair visitors - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: adult population, adult tobacco, cigarette packs, cigarette prices, development minister, development ministry, drastic increase, graphic images, gruesome images, periodontitis, ria novosti, scary pictures, self destruction, sick infants, smoking campaign, smoking in public places, smoking kills, superjob, tobacco survey, visual images