Sauce tempts kids into eating more greensDecember 2nd, 2011 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 2 (IANS) You always knew that dressing up greens was the way to get finicky kids to eat healthy. Now a study quantifies just how much it helps. A study has found that offering 2.5 ounces of ranch dressing as a dip sauce increases broccoli consumption by 80 percent among children.
Ranch dressing is a mix of buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, minced green onion, garlic powder, and other seasonings.
“Children with a sensitivity to bitterness may avoid certain vegetables, but offering a low-fat dip could make it easier for those foods to become an accepted part of children’s diet,” said Jennifer Orlet Fisher of Temple University, the Journal of the American Dietetic Association reports.
The researchers, led by Fisher, surveyed 152 pre-school kids at the Head Start programme who were served broccoli at snack time over a seven-week period, according to a Temple statement.
“We know that children can learn to like vegetables if they are offered frequently, without prodding and prompting,” said Fisher, director of Temple University’s Family Eating Lab.
Dislike of the bitterness in some foods may stem from the TAS2R38 gene, which influences how we perceive bitter tastes.
- Kids should start their meal with veggies - May 06, 2010
- China chaat, pomfret roast rock Chittaranjan Park's food platter - Oct 04, 2011
- Veggies in first course can improve preschoolers' appetite - May 06, 2010
- Mary Poppins' 'spoonful of sugar' may not be best way for medicine to go down - Mar 30, 2011
- Colourful plate boosts finicky eater's appetite - Jan 06, 2012
- 10 tips to keep your healthy habits intact during holidays - Nov 24, 2010
- Chomping on cheese and chilli delights in Bhutan - Apr 29, 2011
- Dos and Don'ts during monsoon (To go with - With Monsoon health guide: Rainproof your lifestyle with right diet) - Jul 16, 2012
- Thanks to Popeye, kids eat more vegetables - Aug 09, 2010
- Green vegetables vital for breast cancer patients - Apr 05, 2012
- Pranab avoided going to school, says elder sister - Jul 22, 2012
- Brown Bag Lunch Ideas For Kids - Jan 07, 2011
- Sony's chairman urges for healthier alternatives to popcorn in cinemas - Mar 17, 2010
- Popeye cartoons, tasting parties boost vegetable intake in kids - Aug 07, 2010
- Asparagus, artichokes hold the key to fight obesity, diabetes - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: american dietetic association, bitterness, broccoli, dip sauce, dislike, garlic powder, green onion, greens, head start, jennifer orlet, journal of the american dietetic association, mayonnaise, onion garlic, pre school, ranch dressing, school kids, seasonings, snack time, sour cream, temple university